Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help stop automatic read receipts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I'm using Outlook as my mail client with my Exchange 2k and I can't turn off the automatic sending of read receipts. I've found where read receipts are listed in my Outlook, but it's turned on and grayed out so I can't turn it off.

I found a couple places on the internet that said it was an Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k issue so here I am looking for an answer. Is there a way to change the read receipts check box from "grayed out" to "active" in Outlook 2k? Or is there somewhere in Exchange 2k that will let me enable the check box so I can turn it off???

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

If you're connected to an Exchange 2K server, you don't have the option to turn of read receipts at the user level. You can disable all read receipt capabilities on the E2K server.

System Manager - Global Settings - Internet Message Formats/"name" (default is Default)/Properties/Advanced.

Hi Lander,

I checked where you said to look and there isn't anything there on turning off automatic processing of read receipts. All that's there is "Out Of Office" replies or "Automatic Forwarding" and other similar options. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

does anyone else know where I need to go to turn off the automatic processing of Read Receipts in Outlook?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

The should be in the same area you request them. If it is greyed out, most likely the settings are forced through group policy. Run gpresult to find which policy the setting is coming from and turn it off.

Hi there,

I also have the same problem using Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000 and Small Business Server 2000. The option to turn off the automatic read reciepts is greyed out in the Outlook options.

You suggest running gpresult to find out which policy the setting is coming from - how do I do this? Then how do I turn off the option? This problem only started happening about a month or two ago, so I don't know what has changed on our server. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm stuck.

Thanks for the help,

Stephen

Outlook XP allows you to decide if you want to send a read recept or not either on a per mail basis or as a preference

Outlook 2000 also has the option for each person to choose whether to send the reciepts automatically or not, but for some reason, these options are greyed out so I can't change them! Even when I log onto the server as the Administrator, the options are still greyed out. Any ideas how I enable this option to be changed? I've looked through the group policies, but can't find anything to do with the read reciepts - or maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks for your help,

Stephen

Jon, I don't have an "Exchange Advanced" (per the Microsoft document 271419) on any of my mail groups. I don't even have one on my individual user accounts.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

On the options window I mentioned above, you should have "Allow automatic replies", that is the one to uncheck to stop read receipts at the Exchange server. Again, this is an Exchange Server option, not an Outlook option. You turn the ability on/off at the Exchange Server, not the clients.

Lander,

Where you said to turn off read receipts doesn't have the option to turn off read receipts (see my reply above). I'm running Exchange Server 2000. Did you perhaps give the wrong location in your post? Or maybe Exchange Server 2000 has its read receipt options in a different location?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Joe,

I have E2K. On the menu I noted(System Manager - Global Settings - Internet Message Formats/"name" (default is Default)/Properties/Advanced.), what are all of the options listed?

Lander, here are the options on the menu you listed:

Exchange rich-text format
Always use
Never use
x Determined by individual user settings

Message text word wrap
x Never use
Use at column

Allow out of office respnoses
Allow automatic replies
Allow automatic forward
x Allow delivery reports
x Allow non-delivery reports
x Preserve sender's display name on message

This is everything that is on the advanced tab of Default Properties. Am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Lander,

Um, I just noticed that what I said isn't there IS there. My very bad.

Please forgive!

Joe

No problem. And by the looks of things, you have read receipts turned off. Have you tested this by sending an email with a request for receipt to a user within your Exchange org to see if one is returned?

I never take settings for granted, I always test them.

Lander(and everybody else),

I just did a test message using a read receipt and Outlook is still sending back read receipts even though it's turned off at the server. Anything else I can do to turn it off???

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back