Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! SCN / Voicemail

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbozttu

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2015
US
First off, does anyone here do or know of a 24/7 support plan for avaya? This is the only critical piece of our business that we don't have access to support 24/7 for. We're in DFW..

So I have a 4 site SCN. All is working well. Site A runs a centralized voicemail for A,B,C,D. Works like a champ.

Added a site E this week and all hell broke loose. It appeared to be working fine, inter office dialing was good, monitor showed SCN was up, manager showed all 5 sites in an SCN, and so on. I did NOT centralize voicemail from site E at first, they were still on their local LAN voicemail server. Right away one of our incoming call routes at site B stopped working. It depends on a voicemail module from the centralized voicemail (a disclaimer) before it rings in. I assumed that the newly added site E's VM pro was somehow interfering, and I remember hearing that you should always centralize all voicemail within an SCN.

So - I pointed site E to the centralized voicemail, and stopped the VM service on their old server hoping it would stop it from interfering anymore. After this change, I could see all their mailboxes on site A, inter office dialing was working fine, etc. however manager was giving an error that some sites on the SCN were not discoverable. Also from site E's LAN, it said all 4 of the other sites were not discoverable. WTF! there are branch office VPN's connecting all sites and ALL traffic is allowed. Inter office dialing was still working! Monitor showed the SCN was green through all 5 nodes. Why is manager saying it's not discoverable?

Sigh. I really like IP office but getting support is so damn frustrating. You have to pray there is a forum post out there somewhere for your specific issue.

Tl;dr version - why would one site on an SCN not be discoverable despite inter office dialing working fine, and monitor showing green status for the site in the SCN - and is it possible that a site within an SCN running its own VM pro while the other 4 are centralized could interfere with the others?
Thanks in advance sorry for the rant.

You can order IPOSS from Avaya with 24/7 support.

If you don't want centralized and you seem to have the license at site E you can configure VM to be distributed.

Monitor sees the SCN status from the IP address of the IPO it is connected to. Manager tries to reach the IPOs in the SCN from the PCs ip address manager is running on. So perhaps your manager PC is in a network where it can reach four out of five systems but not the last one. Be aware that manager always tries to connect to the ip address the SCN line has configured as opposite end. Can be the interface used for SCN but not reachable from your computer.

Thanks for your reply, derfloh.

I do want to be centralized, actually. I was just trying to minimize the amount of changes that night. We were setting up the SCN, going to a new PRI provider, a new fiber circuit, changing everyone's extensions from 200's to 600's (to prepare for SCN) and moving 11 peoople's offices that night. LOL - I figured if I can leave voicemail alone maybe it will be one less thing to worry about. So much for that!

The manager PC and the systems are all on networks with BOVPN's and all traffic can flow freely with no restrictions at all on ports or anything. That's what I don't get... I can ping all over the place with zero issues. Not sure why it wouldn't be discoverable by manager! It was even working the first night, before I went back and made the VM changes.

I guess I will try to get an avaya support plan... my vendor never mentioned it. I have worked with a couple vendors and none of their tech support is ready/willing/capable

Well I started completely from scratch... removed SCN from both sites, rebooted control units, re-config'd SCN on both sides, rebooted... and now it is discoverable again. Disabled VM pro service at Site E, turned on centralized VM to site A like all the rest, and all appears to be good now!

Thanks again for your reply derfloh. I don't know what it was.... but it's all good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back