Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help required on Automating Robotic System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallandro

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2002
GB
Just taken over an Arcserve 2000 backup system, It has a 22 slot backup robotic system on it. THe guy who I took over from just set up a job every nite and backed up the system to a tape and then moved on to the next (all manual) after all 22 were full he takes one out for disater recovery and starts from the beggining. I'm OK with this in principle as a complete backup fits onto one DLT easily and completes over night with plenty of time to spare. I'm also OK with recovering files .. all well and good. Thing is it must be possible to automate this, i.e. set up a job that automatically does a backup every night onto one tape, then the next nite move onto the next etc (missing weekends).. then go back to the first ? then all I would have to do is take out a tape once a month and check they ran OK every nite ? ... any ideas ?

Hi
Make 7 slot groups with as many tapes you like. Create 6 jobs for each day of the week Mo,Tu,We,Th,Fr,Sa and schedule each for 1 week. Assign one slot group as destination to every job.
For your monthly backup schedule the 7th job for 1 month and assign the 7th slot group as destination for this job. Hope that'll help.
KR
Gerald

That sounds good to me .. ill give it a go, thanks Gery !

Hi
I think no need to create 7 jobs
the best way is to create only one GFS job
you need to create group and assign enough tapes to then go to Manager „³
backup them click on Schedule Tab and select Use Rotation Scheme and modify
the job base on your requirements.
Don¡¦t Forget to Enable GFS and create a Media Pool Name Perfix
GFS(Grandfather,Father,Sun) Rotation is an automatic rotation no need to change the
Tape all the time and it has a security that daily backup can be used only Next week
On same day and Weekly can be used after 3 weekly and Monthly can be overwritten
Only after 11 months it is powerful.

Note: In Destination Make sure you fire the Job to Group not to Tape Directly

Hope this Help

Best regards
Mohamdr

Hi
Thats right, but you need a good deal more tapes than with the "more jobs" version and to my opinion it is easier to handle. But GFS is also an option.
KR
Gery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back