Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP ME SET UP A USER AND EXTENSION!!! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubleo

MIS
Oct 5, 2002
US
How do all,

I just started at a company as their network admin. They have the Avaya phone system with Ip office running. Could someone tell me, in PLAIN english how to set up extensions in the admin software? Avaya's website is absolutely USELESS!

do you want to change/ setup an existing user or ad a new user?
What are you trying to set up?
How far have you got with accessing the system?

The first stage is to get the system config using the IP Office manager application - (Start/Programs/IPOffice/Manager)

if you can give more information we should be able to assist

Don't wanna sound too blunt, but if you're completely new on the IP Office, maybe starting off with a basic admin course would get you started. IP Office Admin Manuals are quite helpful also... these are -contrary to most other Avaya documents- written in plain English. You can find them <a href=&quot;Look for the IP Office Manager application document.
Good luck

Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

-Please let fellow members know if their post was of any help-

I go in to the manager, find an existing extension, edit it with the new extension number, user name source number, etc. I then merge the configuration, which is saving it, and then exit. When I go back in to the manager to look at the changes, it goes right back to 'Nouser' at the extension I'm trying to configure. What are the actual steps? What do I change first? Extension form, user form or what? Also, what is the proper way to send the config back to the system after editing it?

Changing the user number is efectivly creating a new user and is not mergable.

If you wish to swap extns the prefered option is to swap the patch leads, this leaves actual extn. nos on the IPO inplace & eases maintanence.

the extension form should not normaly require chaning unless you are trying to change the type of phone (alog to digital etc.)

1. Add a user
2. change an extension/station and give it the users number
3. Save

But please, forgive for saying this again: These Admin basics can be found step-by-step word-by-word in the Manual I pointed out in my first Reply. These IP Office Manuals are really written in a 'my first Sony' kind-a-style, so please give it a try. Like all telephone systems, IP Office isn't a system you can just play around with without knowing the basics. (No offence)

If you need any information that isn't in the manuals, I'd be pleased to help, so don't hesitate.

Kind Regards,
Maarten Copini

-Please let fellow members know if their post was of any help-

I'm following ALL instructions, line for line, word for word. I even copied over a working extension to the one I'm trying to set up. I save it, everything saves correctly, but when I dial the number, it get a funny tone and the display reads 'incompatible' WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET THIS TO WORK? I'm merely taking an existing port id number, changing the extension to the one that I want and associating it with the user. HELP!!

In the User configuration, right click and select New. Create the new User with a Name, Ext Number and Source Numbers. Now go to Extension configuration and amended the required Extension ID (port) to match the Extension of the new User. This will tie that extension id to the new User. To save these changes a full system reboot is required. Save the config and instead of doing a merge you will need to send the config immediately - this will cut off all calls, or reboot when free - this will send the config when there are no calls in progress.

hope this helps.

Hey Boy Wonder,

It worked like a charm!! I just needed to get the correct order down. I was creating the extension first and then tying the user to it. Thanks for your help.

I am a old Difinity G3 Admin that is now been given a IP Office Manager to work with in a new location. I know how to admin the new users in office manager, my silly question of the day is how is the patching done, the new place jacks are not numbered and it is using 110 cross connect.Is this even relivent with VOIP or will I have to resort to my old ring out to connect?

why not just create a new user , the under telephony /supervisor settings add a log in code ...hey presto a new hotdesking user that can log on anywhere on the system no need to worry about tying in base extension numbers.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

The trouble with hotdesking is the possibility of a power outage messing up all your extensions.

Jeff
True, but once they are hot desked and plan to stay at the desired location, then you can hard code the extensions. It's an easy way to get em up faster without doing a reboot during the day.

If you leave the base extn blank in digital ports then you can hotdesk around end even after reboot the handset should keep it's extn number :)

and dont select force login.....

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

And congratulations on reviving a 9 year old thread!

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

How is that possible?
The older threads are always closed.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I assume that the upgrade has "revoked" that feature

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back