Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP ME! I'M STUCK IN MY CAREER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCatMCS

Programmer
Apr 29, 2004
US

Hello World:

I am a supervisor in a small mainframe shop. I have three people under me. I create reports using Crystal Reports 8.5. (I am certified in Crystal 8.0). I have also done about two years of writing SQL querying against DB2 database. I have done some light Visual Basic programming. On the mainframe side, I'm decent in reading (not writing) JCL, knowing MVS and JES commands, and other computer operator functions. Also, I have been there for 4 1/2 years. My base pay is $21.50 / hr. - but w/in the last three years, I have worked a lot of OT, so in 2001, I grossed $59,000. In 2002, I grossed $58,000. Then in 2003, I grossed $67,000. The reason why I made so much was that I worked my butt off - sometimes 72 hours in a week (I am an hourly employee). Sounds like I got it made...doesn't it?

The truth is, I am a contractor. I work on the premises of a major auto manufacture that outsorced its mainframe operations department out to IBM. In return, IBM sub-contracted a couple of companies and one of them hired me and other people to do mainframe operations.

The sub-contracting company - lets call them xyz - hired me in December of 1999. I started out as a console operator and I did basic mainframe operations work for them, but when I had free time, I wrote some VB code for them and also did a few Crystal Reports for IBM management. A year later I was promoted to Lead Console Operator. By then, there wasn't any Visual Basic projects to do, even if I tried to think of anything. Then in January of 2003, I was promoted to shift Supervisor. So far, things were going pretty good except they hadn't given me a raise in two years ( they did give me a promotional raise though ).

This past winter, my review was exceptional, but again, they didn't give me a raise because of budget reasons (so now, we're talking three straight years w/out a raise). Also, I found out, that I can not go any further up the business ladder. They told me this is as far as a contractor will go (supervisor). Also, my contracting company told me that I am not allowed to jump over to the auto manufacturing company on whose premises that I work on. OK, fine - no big deal - I still have a job. Two weeks ago, my contracting company sent me a letter saying that they will be cutting my pay 5% because of IBM global services cutting 5% to the contracting companies, and my company was not going to eat it - I was.

Oh, it gets better - remember those OT hours that gave me the big checks? No more OT unless you come in and work for someone ( ex. call in sick, vacation, etc. ). On top of this, I deal with a lot of politics and backstabbing that is going on (people are not happy there). Also, I know there will be no raise for the next year...who knows, I could get another 5% cut. I've had enough.

Anyway, here is the deal. I have almost two years of experience as a Supervisor. I have a couple years of Crystal Reports experience and also SQL. I have very light VB skills. I have 12 years of mainframe experience, but I want to get out of mainframe operations.

There have been companies calling me about Crystal Reports Development positions, but they are only three month projects. I am 36 years old w/ a wife and kid to support. There is no way I am going to take those 3 month contracts.

So, where do I go from here? I thought about applying for other supervision positions outside the mainframe operations field, but the chances of getting that type of supervisor position in which I'm completely new to an industry is slim to none. I basically have to find another supervisor position w/in the mainframe operations world - where there I could move over to something else or move up. But mainframe operations is a declining field, plus, a few data centers from where I live (Columbus, Ohio), is moving to India.

If I get a job as a Crystal Reports Developer (as a non-contractor), they do not pay well. Plus, there are only a few Crystal jobs out there in the first place, and if you do find one, you have to know ASP, XML, VB and who knows what else.

I can go the VB route, but it seems like I don't have a lot of time on my hands to study it. If I was 20 years old and w/out a family, that would be a different.

So, again, what the heck should I do? I feel like giving up and staying where I'm at ( hey, at least I have a job ) and do my best for my employer and focus more on my family. But one thing is for sure, I don't have a future where I'm at now.

Thank you for hearing me whine and cry like a big baby. I just need a little direction and/or some advise. Thanks all.

BigCat

Don't balk at short term contracts, they can be quite lucrative if you set your hourly rate high enough but not to high. I took a short term contract last year (3 month) I too am mid 30s with a family. I set my bill rate so it wasn't to outrageous. The contract ended up lasting 6-7 months and I made almost twice in that time frame than I did the 18 month combined. The thing to remember with short term contracts is that you need to plan ahead.

Do you have any idea what your company has your bill rate set at? If your at $21 an hour and they are billing you at any more than $55-60 an hour then they are definately making enough to eat the %5 decrease.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

I see where your coming from. The contracting companies that are calling me up tell me I can make 35$ / hr for a 3 - 6 month contract. The thing is, they are the middle man. How can I be an independent contractor and set my own billing rates ( that is, if I go that route )? Thx.

BigCat

If that is what you want to do, check out this thread:
forum1248

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

IBM will not allow me or anyother sub-contractor to hop onto their company. They have never given me or anyone else any reasons why we're not allowed. Seems like one big mystery to me.

What reasons do they have for you not going to the client company? Did you sign a non compete and if so what were the terms of it.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

IBM and the company probably has a two-way no-hire clause in their contract. It is not an uncommon clause and it's purpose is to protect both the client and the customer, to keep each other from raiding each other's staffs.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Cajun is probably correct. In the four plus years I've been there, I haven't seen anyone climb onto IBM. As with trying to get onto the auto manufacturing company in where we work at, our contracting rep. told us from the get go that there is no way we can get on w/ them as well.

I don't know guys, I'm really frusted but I still have to be thankful to God that I still have a job. I might start throwing out resumes and see what happens. The job market is opening up a little and the unemployment rate is pretty low when compared historically (5.6%).

I might have to start studying VB6 and do some volunteer work at a charity or something using Crystal or VB - or anything else they have. Any other suggestions?

BigCat

Yes, learn VB.Net or C# as well as a newer version of Crystal....as these may become more desired later.

You might also want to see if the no-hire extends to other parts of IBM, or just the services side. IBM is a big place! Of course, you'd have to be pretty discreet in asking this sort of question...

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

My big question is that if I start learning VB.net or C# and have no experience...and if I can't get any experience at a charity organization - I'm still in a jam because of no experience.

You guys have been giving me some good ideas - I feel like I'm narrowing some things down here - so feel free to continue shooting ideas out to me. I appreciate it.

BigCat

BigCatMCS said:
Also, my contracting company told me that I am not allowed to jump over to the auto manufacturing company on whose premises that I work on
Did you sign anything agreeing to this? They can tell you whatever they want you to believe, but unless you signed something saying you wouldn't/couldn't do it, I really don't see how they can inforce it. Of course you would need to look over any documentation you may have to make sure...sometimes they can be sneaky in the way they word things.

I mean, if you didn't sign anything, what can they do? Take you to court? I can hear it now: "Well, no your honor, he didn't sign an agreement. But we told him not to do it!!" Yeah, that'll stand up...

If they were contracted directly from the auto manufacturer, then I would say they're probably right. But since they were contracted by a company who was contracted to contract a company to contract a contractor...you can probably do whatever you want.

Just a thought...look over any papers you signed with your company.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Ecobb:

Good point. I will look into this. Maybe there is hope after all.

BigCat

Ecobb + BigCatMCS + CajunCenturion

Following up on the theme of
IBM and the company probably has a two-way no-hire clause in their contract

In spite of said agreements, in some locations (countries / states / provences) the agreement is not legally binding on you as an individual. It may be worth your while to check out the local legal perspective.

Although you may not be liable, the two corporations probably do have an agreement not to raid each other, and the real problem is that the one company may sue the other for in breach of contract regarding the raiding clause.

Regardless, there is usually a period of time in which the clause expires. Or the hiring company may agree to pay a penalty to acquire the talent.

Unfortunately, a lot of companies are playing hardball these days. Even if a service contract is lost, the service provider will seek as much money as possible before transferring talent. This leaves the "talent" in a real tough spot. The hiring company may want to keep the skill set, the talent wants to keep doing what they do best, but the service provider may be willing to forfeit the transfer unless they are heavily compensated. Ouch, no winner here!

...Moving on
I have played the squeeze play before -- wage cuts, people cuts which means others pick up the work. The trend here is that first round of cuts includes those with the least seniority, and those close to retirement. The grey haired group tend to get very nice "packages". Those who "survive", have to work harder, and tend to get a smaller package in the end after the second or third round of cuts. Unless there is a reasonable package pending, the smart ones with the most talent tend to jump ship first.

I guess where this is leading is that you have to look after yourself. Your post suggest you are not loyal -- burned and now fuming I guess.

Things to consider...
- You personally may not be locked out of working with IBM. But IBM may be reluctant to hire you because of legal ramifications on their end.
- IBM is not the only one providing service. There are other corporations who service IBM hardware.
- Although you want to get out of mainframe, with a family to support, you may want to continue to work in the mainframe environment and exit elsewhere in a controlled manner.
- Contract work can be lucrative - depends on your level of skill, and the demand for the skill. But there can be dry spells.
- Regardless of your apparent anger, try and stay professional.
- Try and not burn your bridges until you are certain you have a lifeline or two elsewhere.
- Probably a good idea to regroup and put together a development and career plan. Agreed, you are no longer 20, and "free", but you are not 55 either with 10 years to accumulate wealth to retire. Professional advice may help to lead you in a promising direction.
- New skills can be learned on a part-time basis, our you may take the emersion route. Remember though, if you transition to a new line of work, you may be hired a junior level.
- I use my family as an incentive to excel where I want to be a good provider, and therefore try to work smarter and harder... but still take time out to "live" with those that really count.

Many of us have been where you are. Although it may seem dark now, often it gets better to much better.

Thank you all for your advice. I'm starting to look at things from a different angle now. I will stay professional until I can find something else.

I do have one more question. Should I start sending out resumes by the bunches or should I try to arrange a meeting w/ the hiring manager of the IT department and talk to him/her for a few minutes while giving him my resume? How should I go about looking for a new job? Thx.

BigCat

willir - You are of course correct. Many states do have right to work laws that take precedence over this type of non-hire clause. But if the customer and the client both choose to honor the clause, which most do, then you have nothing to challenge. It's not a usually a matter of arbitrating the clause, it's that neither side puts the clause at risk.

I think BigCatMCS that you're correct be thankful that you still have a job. Even though it's not a bed a roses, it's better than the alternative. One course of action would to determine which skills sets are in demand in your region, however large you choose to define that region. If any of them interest you, then do whatever you can to get up to speed. It won't do you any good to get up to speed in a skill that is not in demand in your area. Keep the resumes flowing, keep your chin up.

It will work out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Before you start sending out résumés or meeting IT departments, you should probably decide what you want to do first. Have a short term and long term plan, prepare (research), and then apply.

The worst thing to do is apply for the "dream" job, get the interview and get stumped on simple "who are you question". Or get a job but it is not what you wanted , and leave after short period -- kind of spoils your "track record".

And yes, apply in bunches - meet IT managers and apply, go to trade shows, circulate and apply, respond to advertizements, make "cold calls", etc. Probably more effecient to seek jobs by "networking" than through impersonal options, but they can all work.

You might also check with a lawyer. Have them review anything you signed. Even if you did sign a non-compete, in many right to work states they are unenforcible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back