Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Max Headroom Syndrom...Music Stutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rars222

Technical User
Jan 24, 2005
US
I can't seem to figure out why my music stutters, lags and pops. I have windows XP pro SP2, P4 2.4 400fsb, 1 gig ram and a soundblaster compatible card. I did update the drivers too.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get this annoyance to stop? It hasn't always done this, but I can't identify what I may have changed for sure...I did change from a P 4 1.4 to the P 4 2.4, but it occurred before then. I have added RAM, but it occurred before then. I had my bios updated, but it occurred before then.....

Let me know if I am missing any helpful info.

Make sure the sound card's acceleration is set to Full, and the 'Sample Rate Conversion Quality' is set to Good.

If those are ok, then check in Device Manager for any problems or conflicts with the sound card.

If there are none, then uninstall and reinstall the sound card's software.

If no luck, then disable all special effects(3D Sound, stereo expansion, etc.) in the sound card's software.

If still no luck, then reduce the sound card's acceleration a notch or 2.

If still no good, then insert the sound card in a different slot.

If that does not work, then see if the same problem happens with it installed in a different system. If so, then the card may be bad.

with what type of Music files is this happening, or is this generally with ALL sounds (Music, Movies, MIDI)?

it just could be a bad codec that is causing you problem...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

What is the CPU load? Use Windows Task Manager to check.

It happens when I stream online radio, playback mp3's, watch video snips on MSN...

There doesn't seem to be any pattern for the CPU load. I've watched it happen at 13% and other random numbers.

I tried to change the acceleration and sample rate conversion quality as suggested...

I will try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. I have also tried to switch to onboard sound to bypass the PCI card and it still happens.

It seems like there is a "hang up" or "glitch" in my system. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. My system used to work flawlessly and I upgraded the CPU, Ram and soundcard to try to improve this...

Is there a possibility that you have a MediaCenter installed, with the option of TimeShifting? if so disable TimeShifting...

I had similiar probs with a TV card attached to my PC that did this...

ALternatively, it could be the size of your buffer for streaming, ie. too small or transfer speed of your internet connection...

Ben

Where would I look for MediaCenter? I doubt I have anything like that installed.

I understand about the buffer for streaming, but it also happens with music on my HD. It's like a lag in my system. I scanned for spyware, adware and cleaned stuff up, but it's still happening. It seems to occur more severely when running several applications - leading me to believe it is performance related. I just don't know what to change to make it better???

Have seen SP-2 sometimes cause audio/video problems on XP systems.

@rars222 - if you don't remember having MC installed, then forget that venue... Have you done a DXDIAG run yet?

Ben

Have you done a DXDIAG run yet?

Yes. Everything seems to be working fine.

Although it did state that my soundcard does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers - does that help?

Have seen SP-2 sometimes cause audio/video problems on XP systems
This was occuring before SP2 upgrade

@rars222 - when was the last time you DeFraged your drives? are all TEMP files cleaned out? do you have INDEXING and PREFETCHING activated, if so try to disable them...

@micker377 - He already, more or less, done that... tried the onboard sound, reread his posts...

Ben

@sars222 - just remember something else... what is the TEMP of the System and CPU, as P4's throttle down when they get to hot...

Ben

ok...I did defrag yesterday...to no avail. Where would I change "indexing and prefetching"?

Temps on the CPU never seem to be above say 40deg F. Right now they are 33 deg.

I'm stumped. I had an old Gateway that did the same thing. I thought it was just due to lack of memory or CPU power. This computer never had an issue and I am not doing any real intensive CPU activities. I am mostly playing music when working online...

Temps on the CPU never seem to be above say 40deg F. Right now they are 33 deg."

Centigrade.

Click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" under the control panel
Click on the "Audio" tab
Click the "Advanced" button under "Sound Playback"
Click the Performance tab
Move the slider for "Hardware Accelertion" all the way to the left "None"

Should I make any changes to Sample Rate Conversion? Someone else suggested to move it to "good"...

I was hoping you would post too. You've helped me with some dousies :) Like the time my cat interupted a bios update....

at any rate...it still seems to be stuttering, lagging...

I think you have to play with both settings if issues remain.

Does this happen with an audio CD inserted, or with streaming audio fron the internet, or both?

Are you using WPMP 10 to play the audio?

It's not happening on CD playback. I am using iTunes mostly & sometimes WMP.

It does happen when streaming online...

I just upgraded to WMP 10 and it's still happening...ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back