Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help! Max Headroom Syndrom...Music Stutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

rars222

Technical User
Jan 24, 2005
US
I can't seem to figure out why my music stutters, lags and pops. I have windows XP pro SP2, P4 2.4 400fsb, 1 gig ram and a soundblaster compatible card. I did update the drivers too.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get this annoyance to stop? It hasn't always done this, but I can't identify what I may have changed for sure...I did change from a P 4 1.4 to the P 4 2.4, but it occurred before then. I have added RAM, but it occurred before then. I had my bios updated, but it occurred before then.....

Let me know if I am missing any helpful info.

Increase the buffer:

Open Media player and right click on the Windows flag icon at top left. Choose Settings, Options, Performance and give yourself a reasonable networking buffer.

Possible conflict between media players?

I had an old Gateway that did the same thing.
So did I. Turned out Gateway had installed a Macintosh soundblaster in the thing. I realize that is not your current problem but thought I would share.

Not sure whats causing your current issue but buffer settings sounds like good place to look.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Hoping a bump to this thread will help.

Since my last post I have:

Removed the PCI soundcard
Enabled onboard sound
removed many of the background programs from startup

I am still experiencing stuttered music, lagging and "popping". I suppose I can try to remove iTunes and see if it still stutters in WMP 10.

Just to reiterate this is happening with use of all media types (mp3 playback, CD Playback, streaming music, online video clip viewing....)

Can anyone else think of anything? Buffer settings within iTunes is at the highest setting. I am not sure what else to do??

Hola, did a little research and found that there is a possibility that the wrong transfer rate of the IDE (PIO instead of DMA) can cause the symptoms that you described...

go here for testing/checking/fixing this prob:
good luck and let us know if this helped...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Great response! My secondary IDE channel is in PIO mode. Now I just need to decipher the instructions on how to change it...

I will report back. I hope this does it. I am pretty frustrated!

Tx again BigBadBen

Two places to change it:

1) BIOS - Check for something like "Enable DMA on IDE Channel X". Make sure ALL IDE Channels have DMA Enabled.

2) Device Manager - Go to the 'IDE Channels' or 'Master IDE Controller 'and make sure both are set to "DMA if available".

That is simple...

1.) go to the Device Mangler and DE-INSTALL the IDE Channels and/or IDE controller...

2.) reboot and let Windows reinstall them...

good luck...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Do you have the Nvidia Nforce chipset....there are known issues with the symptoms you have...I had the same problem

it finally took a clean install of xp to fix that issue

I tried everything first....thought about smacking the computer....changed my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back