Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help, I NEED AN IP OFFICE PHONE TO WORK FROM A HOME OFFICE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyrman

Vendor
Aug 26, 2010
Hello all. I have an avaya ip office 8.0.42. i would like to have a worker or two
take a telephone home and be able to answer and make calls. How do i do this?
Will the new 1616-i phone work? I have a dynamic ip at present time. I have
licensing for 5 -avaya ip, 5 non -avaya ip, telecomuter. my ip office is at
172.16.1.127 = ip=office
172.16.1.7= file writer/mgr/tftp

thank you.

You need a 96xx series phones the 16xx won't work.

Get the phone to work in the office first and assign correct User that you have previously created on the first boot of the phone.

To get it to work outside the office:
You need to obtain your public IP address at the office. This should be static otherwise you will have to update the IP configured in the phones each time it changes. Typically it will change every few months if not sooner but depends on your provier. Go to a PC at the office and Google 'what is my ip' to get this address.

You need to turn on port forwarding on your firewall to allow for traffic on UDP 1719 and TCP 1720 and RTP ports specified in the next step to be targeted to the correct LAN interface on the IPO (LAN 1 or LAN2).

Go to IP Office LAN 1 or LAN 2 tab (wherever you are sending Internet traffic to) then the VoIP tab and turn on:

H.323 Gatekeeper Enable
H.323 Remote Extn Enable
RTP Port Number Range (Remote Extn) - allow 2 ports minimum per phone, setup this range in the firewall port forwarding

After you set all these up, and have had the phone setup locally (allowing for a firmware update to take place) you can then take it offsite. When it boots press * to program, enter CRAFT as the password, navigate to ADDR and enter in the Public IP address for Call Server address. Rest should be obtained by DHCP from the offsite router.

If you get that far and still no luck let us know.

The 16XX works too for remote worker and the 46/56xx too although it is not supported :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

@murius

Is configuring your firewall like this secure? Wouldn't anybody be able to connect to your IPO?

still need user name and password and it needs to be also an Avaya phone not some hack PC.

not secure to the point of Pentagon secure but the chances that the Chinese hack into it (I see them daily on my firewall log those buggers) and make calls to China are slim.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Interrupt the silence only if you improve it by saying something, otherwise be quiet and everybody will be grateful.

a password like: ext 2221 / 1234? [bigsmile]

also, do you know if the traffic between the IPO & the Telephone is encrypted?

This would not allow access to the IP office programing interface unless you exposed the necessary port to the internet
this would be strongly discouraged (so DONT cut corners & just set the IPO as a DMZ)

The data is not encrypted so if anyone is sniffing your data they could reply the conversation (wire shark will do this quite easily)
I have no doubt that if someone wanted to they could easily impersonate an Avaya phone (or buy one) then they only need to crack the username & password to be able to abuse your circuit.

Personally I would suggest you are better of to install a compatible VPN solution & use 96XX

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

@IP Guru, I agree setting up a VPN setup is ideal. I think in Fryman's case setting up a basic remote extension is a good first step and if the password for users is not 1234 then all should be fine.

@ tlpeter, thanks for the info never bothered to test a 16xx and didn't realize they work remote.

I'd look at the 9620L, using the VPN capability.

Granted it was with CM rather than IP 500, but I had ~30 users with 9620L phones at home.

The VPN config can be "interesting" on some firewalls, however I had a a Cisco ASA 5510 which worked perfectly :)

Cheers

We have several 5610 units Connected Remotely from several Locations, though all of the remote sites are connected to the Main Office via VPN. HQ has a Cisco ASA5510 and the remotes have various flavors of VPN termination points. PIX 501, PIX 506, ASA5505, RW220W. Once the VPN is Connected, you just need to have the Phone Manually Configured with the IP Addresses of the Office Equipment and they just work.

We had an Issue with Comcast Internet dropping the IPO Packets (even with VPN) and had to change the SIG DSCP to 26 from 34.

Scott<-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back