Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help enabling ethernet communication on 2900 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lohman

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2003
US
I just inherited a Catalyst 2900 (24 port) switch (model WS-C2924) and I have never before used any Cisco gear (only HP and 3COM).

The problem is that I can't get this switch to communicate to any Ethernet devices.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could point in a direction that will help me figure out what I need to do to make this talk. I do want to learn this which is why I’ve been reading for days, but I haven’t been able to find all that I need or I must not understand something.

Here's what I've done.

I managed to get my HyperTerminal working on the console.
There was a password on it that I didn't have so I ended up formatting flash: (because I didn't have enough space to upload a new .bin file and I couldn't get wildcards to work with the delete command). Once I figure out how to make this work then I’ll re-copy the .tar over and fix the flash:html that I deleted.

After formatting flash I used xmodem to send c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.11-SA6.bin to the switch. I then set the switch to boot to the .bin file. (Now THAT was SLOW)

I tried answering yes to the setup question and entering the data but that didn't help AND it installed a password; which I'd rather not have; so I wiped flash, copied the .bin file over, booted, and this time I entered "NO" to the ?setup? question and configured everything through “config terminal”.

I setup vlan 1 with all 24 ports under it (default). Eventually I want 3 vlans on this (8 ports each) but I’m keeping it simple so far.
I assigned an IP to vlan1
I copied the running config to the startup-config and then reloaded
I tried pinging to/from the switch without success.
And from there I general mucked with every single setting that I could find in hopes that I would eventually make something work; which I have not. After 2 full days of "mucking around", I've exhausted every piece of documentation that I could find and thus come to you.

I have been attempting to ping the switch by connecting my nic directly to port 24 and/or 1. My client has a static IP of 192.168.1.47/24. Ping both ways fails.

My goal is to make this switch function on my 192.168.1/24 subnet with the IP of 192.168.1.9 and use 192.168.1.1 for a gateway (the firewall port IP). I'll need to connect port 24 to my firewall's dmz port so that this switch can be used as our "dmz" switch.

So I'm not asking for step by step instructions (unless you feel like giving them). I've been reading manuals for 2 days and feel as though I have read everything that exists and yet it seems like I'm missing something simple. I've never had to do anything more than setup an ip address and gateway on my other switches so I don't know where to look next.

Here’s my config:

!
version 11.2
no service pad
no service udp-small-servers
no service tcp-small-servers
!
hostname Switch
!
!
!
!
!
interface VLAN1
ip address 192.168.1.9 255.255.255.0
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
!
interface FastEthernet0/4
!
interface FastEthernet0/5
!
interface FastEthernet0/6
!
interface FastEthernet0/7
!
interface FastEthernet0/8
!
interface FastEthernet0/9
!
interface FastEthernet0/10
!
interface FastEthernet0/11
!
interface FastEthernet0/12
!
interface FastEthernet0/13
!
interface FastEthernet0/14
!
interface FastEthernet0/15
!
interface FastEthernet0/16
!
interface FastEthernet0/17
!
interface FastEthernet0/18
!
interface FastEthernet0/19
!
interface FastEthernet0/20
!
interface FastEthernet0/21
!
interface FastEthernet0/22
!
interface FastEthernet0/23
!
interface FastEthernet0/24
!
ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1
!
line con 0
stopbits 1
line vty 0 4
login
line vty 5 9
login
!
end

Any thoughts?

Oh and when I said I have been reading everything; that includes reading every post in this forum. So if I missed a post that previously covered this in my search; I apologize and would appreciate a link to that post.

Setting the speed/duplex on port 0/24 and my nic and insuring that they matched didn't help.

!
interface FastEthernet0/24
speed 100
duplex full
!

Also my config above wasn't copy/pasted correctly: here it is again:

!
interface VLAN1
ip address 192.168.1.9 255.255.255.0
no ip route-cache
!

Switch#show interface FastEthernet 0/24
FastEthernet0/24 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0050.d1dd.9958 (bia 0050.d1dd.9958)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec, rely 255/255, load 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set, keepalive not set
Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input never, output 00:00:01, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 1000 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec
85 packets input, 10855 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 48 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
0 watchdog, 0 multicast
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
115 packets output, 8436 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 3 interface resets
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

Looks like it should work , how fast were you trying to ping after booting up ? i see that you do not have portfast turned on so it will be at least 40-50 seconds after you get a link before you would be able to ping anything , all access ports should have portfast enabled .

it look like you need to have ethernet rj45 crossover to connect to the other switch to make it work. you should see a green light on the port of cisco which you tried to connect. you also need to have all the switch set up on a same vlan for it to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back