Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help connecting external music source 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billb1981

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2006
US
I have a nortel option 11c, trying to connect an external music source (muzak box)

The actual line out is RCA type plug on the muzak box (a single wire) supposed to connect to the PBX, however this particular system doesn't just have a "connection" So I'm curious if I need to punch something down?

After doing a PRT MUS on the system, I've found it's located on 007 07. The muzak system has external power, so I guess what I'm confused about is what I punch down where....

Any help would be appreciated

Makes sense, I'm just still not sold on this connection that came with it. When I cut off the other end, all that is inside is a single wire, with the other wire being very fine copper wire, which to me just doesn't seem right......would it be better to use a pair of headphones? The only problem is, the jacks on the back of the system are RCA type jacks, (like inputs on a tv)

I never liked using the RCA jacks either, usually the output is also there in the mini jack headphone style also, that is my personal preference because it is easier to use a headphones jack and cable.

Do they sell a converter? Obviously I can't really change the output on the Muzak box, since it's brand new. But.... What about crafting up a little connector that I plug into the muzak system and on the other side of the connector punches down to the PBX. I was thinking about even soldering it. (Not on the PBX, but the wires connecting the cables)

I've read other posts about dialing an ACOD and listening to the music, or in my case "silence" until I get it on there, but is there a way for me to verify it's actually configured on my trunks and stuff?

put a tone on the pins.. or dial the acod, then trac the station..

ld 80
trac 0 2345

will show that number connected to the mus port

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I cannot imagine how I could add value to this thread since it is so complete, but I can add some trivia to Muzak. In 1980, I worked for a company that did all of Muzak's union jobs. I ended up hangin in the Muzak office often - and learned the story:

"Back then" the program was 14 minites on - 1 minute off - 24 hours a day. It was called "programmed music" for a variety of reasons.

Each 14 minute block contained a series of songs, each one with a slightly faster tempo than the previous. When the last song in the 14 minute block was playing, the tempo was as fast at it would get and then the 1 minute of silence came, and the routine would start over.

Workers were "programmed" to pick up the pace as they tapped along with the musics ever increasing tempo.

Fact.

~

used to management just beat a drum to get us to row faster.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Ok, so I've got the two wires now cut off from a pair of headphones, going into a old jack, should where should each be screwed down on the jack? does it matter if I go with red,green, yellow or black? And then run two wires off that to the terminal?

no, your just using the old jack as a term, the jumper and the two headset connections need to get back to that tn..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I'm about ready to pull my hair out, maybe you can answer this....

I've tested the adapter I bought, it plugs into the muzak box, which gives me the mini plug coming out, so I plug the headphones into that, and I hear it out of one of the headphones. now that I've cut off the headphones on the end, I've got it all wired onto a jack, and have a butt set plugged into that, I'm not hearing anything, this is nuts. is there something in the headphone wiring that I'm missing? they obviously don't go together?

Maybe you are mixing up the leads, hard to tell without seeing, try each combination of whatever wires you have coming out of the source. maybe the volume is too low for the buttset?

Why not contact Muzak and ask for an amplifier/module for MOH? When I did these installs, I was able to get a silver box from Muzak that had an RCA in, and a 600 ohm dual screw down out. The nice thing about this was it also had an adjustment knob on it, for volume control. I thought the nerwer boxes had this integrated into the system. Look on the back of the Muzak box, lower middle.

Hope this helps,

Scott M.

I might try that...I've at least got it to come through on the butt set, very distorted, but I'm going to put it on the system and try it out...if that doesn't work, I'll ask them about the screw out, that would be helpful!

that's a good way to do that, i have taken a transformer off of an old speaker and done the same thing... your looking for 4 to 8 ohm in and 600 ohn out... it;s not going to sound much better on the switch then it does on your buttset.. they are both 600 ohm

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

At the very least if you can get it on the switch (even distorted)then you can go and make the better connections afterwards.

I've got it up and running on the system, sounds perfect. Thanks for all the help, however I have one question......I can put people on hold and they hear music, however the recepitionist can't, people hear nothing again, is there any way to check and see why that is?

Could this be my problem?

ROUT 10

TYPE RDB
CUST 00
DMOD
ROUT 10
DES MUSIC
TKTP MUS
NPID_TBL_NUM 0
VTRK NO
ICOG OGT
SRCH LIN
STEP
BDCT NO
ACOD 810
TARG 01
CLEN 1
OABS
TIMR ICF 512
OGF 512
EOD 6144
DSI 34944
NRD 10112
DDL 70
ODT 4096
RGV 640
GRD 896
SFB 3

IENB 5
SST 5 0
NEDC ETH
FEDC ETH
HOLD 02 02 40
SEIZ 02 02
RGFL 02 02
CDR NO
MUS NO
TTBL 0
OHTD NO
ALRM NO
SGRP 0
AACR NO

If I dial 810, I'm not getting anything, just a fast busy, shouldn't I hear the music?

The phone you are dialing from needs to have CLS mta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back