Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help connecting external music source 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billb1981

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2006
US
I have a nortel option 11c, trying to connect an external music source (muzak box)

The actual line out is RCA type plug on the muzak box (a single wire) supposed to connect to the PBX, however this particular system doesn't just have a "connection" So I'm curious if I need to punch something down?

After doing a PRT MUS on the system, I've found it's located on 007 07. The muzak system has external power, so I guess what I'm confused about is what I punch down where....

Any help would be appreciated

Hi,

what you normally need to do:

1)Determine where the port 7/7 is located on your distribution frame or patch panel

2) The type of interface card you aer using, Universal Trunk XUT or E&M Card XFEM (Check which card is in the slot 7 of your Option 11), might be a MIRAN

3)If XUT use the a/b to connect your music source. As you have 1 wire only connect it to the a-wire and take a ground from your music box and connect it to the b-wire.

4)If XFEM then use the first pair of the XFEM unit and connect it the same way as the XUT

5)If MIRAN then you can download a music file and use this a source or inject music via the analog input.

Regards

LKI

Ok, I can tell you that it is a XUT. So I'm a bit confused.

I don't have a ground on the back of the box, I have a Line out and a 12v dc power. What do you mean by A/B?

use the line out, usually a stereo jack. get a cheap headphone and cut the end off. Then just plug into your music source and connect the bare wires to a telephone wall jack ( usually your music source isn't close enough to your punch downs to run straight to it) then connect that to your trunk card. Remember when punching down ont he trunk card that the pairs are different than a line card, it skips every other pair.

Thanks for the reply, a couple of additional questions....

The system came with two connectors, the first a RCA type jack on one end (to connect to the muzak box) and the other end the traditional headphone type jack, (which I'm assuming I'm cutting off) however this gives me the single wire.

My music source is close enough I can run direct to the card, but when you say "card" do you mean punching it down straight on the terminal on location 7 7 as in my earlier post?

Also....can I just create a "message on hold input" connector off the PBX and just connect the RCA directly to that?

no, you have the build the mus trunk and connect to it.. if you can tell us the tn your using, we can tell you which pair..

you could add a moh jack to the pbx but that would require soldering connectors to the backplane.. not a recogmended was to learn

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Ok, here is what I've been told by the Muzak people, (this guy might have been out to lunch so who knows)

Plug one end of the rca jack into the muzak system.
Cut off the other end, punch those two wires down on the terminal at location 7 7.

I cut off the plug to look at these "two" wires and have found a copper wire, and a small white wire. So I believe there are two wires, however the copper is not not shielded with anything so not sure how it will "punch" down.

Here is what is on the system:

DES MUSIC
TN 007 0 00 07
TYPE MUS
CUST 0
XTRK XUT
TIMP 600
BIMP 600
RTMB 10 1
CFLP 30
DATE NO DATE

As always thanks for the help.

What's the worst that can happen if I do punch down those two wires to the pbx at location 07 7. From what I'm guessing, and external music source was once connected there...I'm not going to blow it up if I try this am I?

nothing will smoke, i usually find an old jack with screw down term's for the two stranded wires wires, then connect a jumper to that.. stranded wires are not recogemded for a punch down, although you can get a connection, just not a very good one..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

you do know 7 7 is on the black slate pair, it would be marked 7 14 on a quad dinsinty card

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Regarding your second statement there.....I'm confused, believe it or not....

Quad density card? Not sure what you mean there, I can tell you that my TN's start at 0 and all the other phone tn's are the same...can you explain that?

an analog trunk card only has 8 ports (dual density).. port 7 0 is white blue, port 7 1 is white green, so your looking for pair 15 (black slate) is that was a station card, it would be marked 7 14...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Oh, ok I think I'm understanding you a little better here, We don't have white/blue and white/green, it's just

Blue
Orange
Green
Brown
Grey (Slate?)

So what you are saying is I want to jump over to 7 .....14.

I'm going to run up to the store and get a biscuit jack to connect this stuff. I'm assuming that would work? I can just screw down to those...do I need to strip the wires?

before you punch down and troubleshoot if it doesnt work, put your butt set on the 2 wires leading off the MOH source to make sure you can hear it there.

What Johnpoole is explaining in detail is what I mentioned earlier, the trunk punchdown is different than a line card punchdown. The trunk card uses every other pair.

You guys are very helpful, I appreciate it. I don't even thing we have a butt set here, I took over this position when someone left, and he didn't even understand it, so I had no training. I'm going to the store to get some "supplies" how would I make a butt set

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here.....but for testing....

I bought a modular jack, I should be able to screw down the two wires from the muzak system to the modular jack and hook up a standard phone to the modular jack and hear music correct?

yes but not very clear, the set is 600 ohm, if muzak is providing a 600 ohm interface, your set

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Ok, well here's the "update" I was able to connect the test set to the muzak system putting it on the modular jack, and I heard a lot of noise..heard music, but very bad. Will this be the same quality on the system?

I was thinking about scrapping the connection they gave me and creating one that will have better quality.

It depends on your connections, you "should" be able to hear the music at a low volume but clear, not alot of noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back