Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having Trouble Installing Veritas 9.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nytro

MIS
Dec 24, 2001
US
I have Windows XP Professional configured as a stand alone machine. I would like to install Veritas 9.1, however a message comes up stating:

"The ForceGuest value must be disabled in order to install Backup Exec. on Windows XP computers. Disable the ForceGuest value in Windows XP and then retry Backup Exec. installation, or the given password is not correct for account computer-100"

I have setup the administrator account with and without the use of passwords. Is the "ForceGuest value" a registry setting? If so does anyone know how to hack this setting. Please give me an exact example as this is an area I'm not comfortable in.

Help Welcome!!!

Thank you;

Well, you could use the registry. This setting does not appear as obviously as you might guess.

. Start Button -> My Computer
. In the menu of My Computer select "Tools" -> "Folder Options"
. In "Folder Options" select the "View" tab

Uncheck the setting "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)"

This change should be reflected in this registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAK_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Control \Lsa]
ForceGuest = 0

(The zero value means that 'ForceGuest' is disabled)

Apologies, a typo:

This change should be reflected in this registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Control \Lsa]
ForceGuest = 0

bcastner...

Thank you for your expertise advice. I followed your instructions which allowed me to install Veritas 9.1. I had to assign a password to the administrative account along with manually changing the "ForceGuest from 1 to 0. Worked like a champ!

Again...thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back