Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

having problem to get XP connected with a win 2000 network

Status
Not open for further replies.

iuanee

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
hi, i have a problem of getting windows xp connecting to 2000 network...
i am able connect to the internet, but not the LAN. i mean when i click to view the computers on the network, it fails because it's not connecting to any network...(but i am able to use IE without problems)

thanks,

dan

yes, we have the dns server running...
and i just joined the domain,...

1. Client for Microsoft Windows must be installed
2. File and Printer Sharing Must be Installed
3. Under TCP/Ip Properties, Advanced, WINS tab, "Enable Netios over TCP/IP"
4. The DNS entries must be a very specific way under XP. This is a substantial change from all earlier Windows clients. Please see my detailed notes here: thread779-540080

we get everything all done already...just that it still not on the network and can't see the server

wait...how do i know if i am on the domain already??
and which workgroup i am on??

thanks i found it and when i tried to change the domain to the same one as other client computers have, it gave me an error msg saying the domain controller can't be contacted.
i know i have the domain name is correct...just don't know what's going wrong here..

dan

It is DNS. Run IPCONFIG /ALL and verify that it is pointing to your DNS server. Run IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS to get rid of any bad entries, then try again. Is your Domain a .com or a .local? If it is .local, do not put the .local in the dialog box, only the Domain Name...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

no......flushed the bad entries already...didn't help..
giving me the same error msg

dan

yea...it was made sure that the ip and domain name was rite

I don't think we are on the same page.

Q1. You are not currently on a Domain?
Q2. You have tried to PING 192.168.x.x and also PING COMPUTERNAME from the command line?
Q3. Try an NSLOOKUP <ipaddress> and see if you receive the name of the machine from the DNS server and post the outcome please.

I really think you are having DNS issues...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

ok.......here's what i got..thanks
hmm....

1) i don't think i am in a domain....although the administrator has already added in an acct for me
(my user name that was added is not on it)

2) my laptop was able to communicate with other computers in the same network when i tried it with ping
4 packages were received each time, no packages loss

3) when i nplookup my ipaddress, i got the following:

***ns3.srv.hcvlny.cv.net can't find <ipaddress>: Non-existent domain

-----------------------------------------------------------
when i nplookup the domain address, i got both server name and server address and computer name and ipaddress

-----------------------------------------------------------

so, is there anything i could do??

dan

If you have an administrator who setup your account on the network, he should also help you get connected. After all he should be responsible for everything on the network.

hmm.....he tried his best already...

so...do u know the solution??

Do you have ICF enabled? If so, disable it.
Do you have any other firewall software installed? If so, remove it.

ICF is not enabled
i didn't install any firewall software either....unless Norton Virus would cause problem, otherwise, no....

1. Are you logged on anywhere else with your username?
2. Are you sure your IP is unique on the network segment?
3. Are you sure your PID (product ID) is unique on the network?
4. Have you logged on with your username to another PDC on the domain from that machine? In that case your GUID MAC-username is now longer unique.

Sort out these issues, then have a Domain Administrator remove your username, and then re-apply it. Changing the username might not be a bad idea.

can u tell me what PDC is??

thanks,

dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back