Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

having problem to get XP connected with a win 2000 network

Status
Not open for further replies.

iuanee

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
hi, i have a problem of getting windows xp connecting to 2000 network...
i am able connect to the internet, but not the LAN. i mean when i click to view the computers on the network, it fails because it's not connecting to any network...(but i am able to use IE without problems)

thanks,

dan

Primary Domain Controller

I don't uderstand Bcastner exactly on this, Because w2k does not have a PDC, only an emulator and this as far as i know done by AD if you have native mode.

see windows help on PDC

for instance:
"If the current PDC emulator master will be unavailable for an unacceptable length of time and its domain has clients without Windows 2000 client software, or if it contains Windows NT backup domain controllers, seize the PDC emulator master role to the standby operations master. When the original PDC emulator master is returned to service, you can return the role to the original domain controller."

but i might be wrong

Once i solved it by joing the workgroup with same netbios name as the domain, and then join the domain. That worked for me.

The DNS server is not always the domain controller.

I didn't say always. Their network sounds relatively small. What I have found when taking on small businesses that only run 1 DC is that they usually make it their DNS server as well. But not always, hence probably...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back