Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having conflicts between ARCserve and Compaq insight manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riko123

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
We are having a problem with Servers becoming inaccessable through compaq insight manager. After reloading ARCserve the problem is solved but it has happened on 4 servers and reloading arcserve deletes all of our database files. I have not been able to isolate the problem but another symptom of the issue is that the SNMP service in windows becomes unstable and will not stay started. As I said I have been through both applications and can not find a cause for this. I also was wondering what the IGateway and I sponsor programs do in ARCserve.

HI,

What version of ARCserve is this?

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Disable SCSI polling in CIM for the tape drives - this should prevent any potential conflict.

Has anyone had a problem with the tasnmp.dll conflicting with the SNMP servie in windows? That seems to be the issue yet I have heard nothing about this. It is definately a ARCserve issue though as we have renamed this dll on one of our servers and it corrected the problem but creates an entry in the event viewer stating that it cannot find that dll.

Error:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: SNMP
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1102
Date: 6/13/2005
Time: 4:07:55 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SRWG-GEMS01C
Description:
The SNMP Service is ignoring extension agent dll E:\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\tasnmp because it is missing or misconfigured.
Data:
0000: 7e 00 00 00 ~...

Hi Riko123,

I had the same problem, but no solution on the Net (note that I found a report on the same problem from back 2003!).
My ARCserve is v11.0, and is running on a HP Proliant with Windows2000. The original installation was OK, but after reinstalled it, SNMP got corrupted.
Then I took a look what is happening when SNMP starts. The immediate breakdown of the service is due to a mis-spelled path, that the service tries to open: 'C:\WINNT\system32\"C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\CSTool.dll'
Very funny!
Then I browsed through the registry, but could not find a particular place where I could make a correction for the path - I don't know where it comes from...
The good thing is that SNMP tries to open this dll from each and every locations in %PATH%, including C:\WINNT, and C:\WINNT\system32.
I tried adding C:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup to the %PATH%, but no success.
Then I copied CSTool.dll to C:\WINNT, and finally it works.
Note that I did not check if SNMP is completely operational in ARCserve, but anyway it seems to be OK!
Please tell me about your findings!
Cheers
Zsolt

Side Note on the ARCserve Database.

If you need to reinstall and want to keep the old database then either make a copy of the ARCserve\Database directory at a temp location and then copy it back after the reinstallation or use the Recover Database function.

Side Note on the HP/Compaq Management Agents.
It is SCSI Information (not polling) that you want to remove from the list on the left. This is to prevent the storage agent from causing a problem with ARCserve, and not to prevent ARCserve from causing a problem with the agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back