Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have fun with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
48% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

Gooser: a low score indicates Yankee, a high one indicates Dixie. Kind of a confusing method to use percentages like this.

Grenage: A common prank. New toilet paper is recommended.

One that I got me was 5, "route". Anyone else pronounce it differently depending on whether it's used as a noun or a verb? "I'll take the shortest route" (toot) or "I'll route the package via Nevada" (clout).

@ lgarner
All (toots) here. [lol]

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

@Thadeus

Scored "39% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee." with your link although it felt more like a Jeff Foxworthy you might be a redneck quiz to me.

lgarner - I route differently depending on circumstance just as you denoted...

So MrMilson If you are all toots, then is the power tool you use to put nice edges on cabinetry called a "rooter"?
Or does it take on the 'ow' sound of "cow" and become a "rowter"?

lgarner,

I'm with you on route.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Carpenter for 7 years and definatly the ow sound, although I'd relate it more with the ow sound of Ouch at least if it finds your fingers.

I'm a route'n-toot'n router of routers.
(I'm a rootin'-toot'n rooter of rowters.)

Route (Root) 66, but I had a paper route (rowt) when I was a kid.

Here's one: What word, starts with su* and is used to describe a grouping of bedroom furniture? Both the spelling, and the pronunciation seem to differ from place to place.

--Gooser

79% (strong Dixie). No surprise (family's been in NC since 1759). We came down from Virginia. Fella's name was Chambers SilentAiche.

Tim

[blue]_______________________________________________________
"Although many figures are strange, prime numbers are truly odd."
[/blue]

50% (Chameleon, lol) for first test

41% (barely Yankee) for advanced test

Guess that reflects the fact that the northern town I was born in was transplanted lock, stock, and barrel from the South in 1923, with around 10,000 or so people making the move. And except for a few very brief interludes I have lived within 50 miles of that town ever since.

And horror of horrors, we even had a section of town that we referred to AT THAT TIME as 'colored town' or 'nigger town.' That was a section of town, containing two blocks, where all of the blacks lived, and whites were not welcome at all. It was an island within the town surrounded on all sides with 3 blocks of empty fields. Today those fields are covered with houses and apartments (flats to you Brits) and blacks can and do live anywhere in town.

mmerlinn

"Political correctness is the BADGE of a COWARD!"

53% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category. (for the record).

I don't think TP'ing, or whatever else it is called, will ever catch on in the UK. Imagine the mess if it rained!! (which it frequently does around that time of year - in fact, any time of year!).

Tony

He he 50% Yankee,
but I'm from the UK as well, in fact I was getting answers all over the place (great lakes seemed to come up quite a bit)
These are my answers (where none of the listed ones fitted) for the following

4. I would spell this Pyjamas the second syllable is 'Jar'
7: 'You guys', but only if I knew them.
9: 'Baguette or 'A Big sarnie' (I come from the north of England this would be different elsewhere in the UK.
11: 'Trainers'
20: These are Woodlice.
As for Question 17 (throwing toilet paper over a house!!!)
I don't understand this one at all.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

Here is a picture of a classic indoor TP prank. Scroll most of the way down the page.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: Emu Products Plus

Very amusing & revealing, especially #11.

My girl-friend, originally from Baltimore, refers to gym shoes as "tennis shoes" while I, lifelong resident of the Northeast, call them "sneakers".

Sneakers are what the TV ads and magazine ads have been selling me for as long as I can recall and I'm sure Shaq doesn't turn to the guy in the next locker and tell him about his lucrative "tennis shoe" endorsement deal.

Does this indicate that Nike, Adidas, and others change their advertising to suit regional preferences?

Anyone else shorten "tennis shoes" to just "tenners"?

--Gooser

54% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.
And I am not even born in US!

sggaunt said:
As for Question 17 (throwing toilet paper over a house!!!)...I don't understand this one at all.
That, SGGaunt, is because those of us who have lived in England know how 'dear' (Yanks, read: 'expensive') a roll of TP can be in the UK (where there is virtually no domestic wood-pulp-processing industry). In the UK, if someone was extravagant enough to roll/paper/TP a house, we would opt for the our favourite economy wipe roll, "Izal".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

I am somewhat of a hodge-podge of regions.

59% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

-Brian-
Semper Paratus

Gooser, over here in the UK, tenners is short for ten pound notes. I guess your tenners cost a few tenners ;-).

Tony

I neither speak, nor understand the Queen's English.

;-)

We have a regional one--where I come from and I'm not sure whether it is used anywhere else. The word is pank. The definition would be something like 'pack' (maybe). As in, "We panked down all the snow in the yard so that we could play football." Or, "Don't pank the snow in the walk, it'll make it too hard to shovel." Anyone else ever hear this word? If so, where?

v/r

Gooser

Why do today
that which may not need to be done tomorrow [ponder] --me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back