Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have fun with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine:
67% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

Although, I have to say, my father would be a definite Dixie, he grew up in west Texas, but I'm a military BRAT (Born, Raised and Trained!), so I have some Northern word choices as well.

And those are frontage roads, not access roads!

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for database developers:
The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design
Understanding SQL Joins

[ ]
Lunatic

They differ from normal streets in many significant ways.

1) They are always one-way going the same direction as the adjacent freeway lanes
2) The freeway exits exit to them in a merging pattern (no intersections, no stop signs, no lights)
3) The freeway entrances exit from them to the freeway in a merging pattern (no intersections, no stop signs, no lights)
4) Because of #2 & #3 there are NO freeway interchanges to grade streets - ALL interchanges are between two or more freeways
5) They are named after the freeway, i.e. in pic BOTH access roads on BOTH sides of the freeway would have SAME name and include 'I-35' in the name
6) All grade exits from the access roads to homes & businesses are on the side of the access road AWAY from the freeway - there are no buildings between the access road and the freeway lanes
7) All address numbers on one side of the freeway are ODD - the corresponding numbers on the other side are all EVEN

If you have an address like 2345 I-35 South, it would be on the access road on one side of the freeway - 2346 I-35 South would be on the OTHER access road on the OTHER side of I-35. To get from one to the other you usually would need to go to the next crossroad under/over the freeway, turn left, go across freeway, turn left, then continue til arrival at other address. Coming back you would do the same thing but using a different cross street. Cross streets are typically a mile or more apart. So to go from one to other & then back again typically means a journey of TWO or more miles even though they are across the freeway from each other and only one digit different in addresses. When you go to the house across the street from you, do you travel TWO miles roundtrip????

If you look very closely near the top of the the pic you can see a freeway exit to the access road on the left and across the freeway you can see a freeway entrance from the other access road.

Most areas have what are known as 'Frontage' roads along the sides of the freeway. MOST frontage roads are two-way, can have buildings on both sides of road, are uniquely named, and do NOT have DIRECT freeway access to them. A few areas use a modified system similar to Texas but in many ways like frontage roads.

If you are not familiar with the way Texans do things you are probably thoroughly confused. Texas is the only place I know of that COMMONLY designs freeways with parallel access roads which are for freeway ingress/egress as well as for grade access to/from private property.

mmerlinn

"Political correctness is the BADGE of a COWARD!"

Yeee-Haww! I'm 74% Dixie!

Not bad for someone from Stoke-On-Trent.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back