Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hate to post this here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXJay

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
Hi. Used to manage an avaya G3si system. Now working for a new company that wants to phase out Merlin system and buy new. Avaya is answering RFP but I've been requested to find an IWATSU vendor in Southern Maine.

I've never heard of them....anyone have any feed back on their system or leads?

Thanks in advance.
J

North East Region
(ME, NH, VI, MA, CT, RI, NJ, DE, MD, NY, PA, Canada)
Len Bachmann
Phone: (877) 421-8917
Fax: (866) 257-0099
Email us

If your talking about "waht is an IWATSU" then it is a key system (not a small PBX) but somehow works like a PBX. It doesnt have any command lines for administration but more of using the keypad of the primary phone set (used by receptionist) to administer the activation and configuration of the key system.

Why on the world do they want to use IWATSU anyways? Better use panasonic key system.

Thanks for the info....just gathering various rfp from various vendors and that was one of the vendors specified by a manager who heard "how wonderful they were"

If you currently have a Merlin Legend/Magix switch, look at the Avaya IP Office 500 or s8300 solutions for your company.

If you're looking for competition in regard to an Avaya RFP, I would recommend some of the bigger names in telecom, ie...below.

Nortel
NEC
Panasonic
Intertel/Mitel

It is typically easier to find vendors/tech support on more widely accepted products from companies such as the above.

I would try to push for an Si like you used to manage. I wouldn't go higher than R9.5 either because you can use all of the same capabilities including IP soft phones that people are using on the newer IP Office and S series servers but you won't get caught up in the licensing problems that are with R10 and above.
Avaya is discontinuing support on everything that isn't within 2 releases of the current release CM4 or 14! This gets extremely expensive and they are forcing customers to upgrade so they can have continued support. I can't say I blame them but if you're looking to save some dough but still have capabilities and a reliable switch then look somewhere else for someone to provide this.

I remember upgrading our switch from R9 to R11.....and the license issues...uggh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back