Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardphone at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ava88

Vendor
Jun 27, 2005
GB
Have anyone trying or possible to install Avaya IP hard phone at home through ISP broadband and VPN connect?

Thanks all
Ava88

I have several at executives homes. What vpn and firewall are you using?

In the future everything will work...

Windows 2000 ICS and separate LAN segment for Avaya IP Hardphone.

Ava88

OK, on your firewall open port 1719 UDP / 1720 TCP and the UDP range found on your ip-network region for the ip subnet of your ip hardphone.

NX01,
How you are?
I am interesting on how to get the IP hardphone to work?
I had seen several postings. I use IP softphone at home on my laptop. We have a VPN client we run, IPSEC. the port issue on the firewall should not be a problem since the IP network region on softphone would be the same network region as a IP hardphone.

Do you have any info on how to do this?

tjx

All you need is a network appliance to run the vpn client at your home. D-Link or a Netgear. I have seen issues with Linksys vpn routers. You would need to port forward the udp and tcp ranges to your ip hardphone ip. I would give it a static ip. As long as the ports are open on the firewall you should be good to go. I use a custom firmware on a Linksys to run a pptp client for my Hardphone. I can plug my computer in to the vpn router and all my network resources come right up...Outlook and share drives. You will have to map some stuff if you don't already have them.

Hi NX01,

Could you told me which modle broadband router (with VPN) is good for the IP Hard phone?

I want to setup a hardphone at home. Thx a lot

Ava88

It depends on the VPN client you need. If you use IPSEC you could problem pick up the D-Link VPN Router. There are different routers for different vpn's.

Before the 46xx VPN client, I used to use an Avaya SG5x at home which allows for a type of unregistered login to the VPN Client - essentially the VSU would see the MAC Address of the device and "konw" that it could not log-in itself and would then build the tunnel itself. This method was a bit clunky an I had a lot of problems with it.

Nowadays, I am running the VPN client on my 4620 and it works beautifully, never had any problems at all. Not sure if it's GA yet and what VPN concentrators it allows you to connect to.

46xx VPN client is still in trials.

We have been using SONICWALL (before that Ravlins) since 2003.

It is funny that Avaya finally comes out with such a beast. Sad that we all had to create work arounds. I spoke with a engineer at Avaya in August 2004 about a vpn client firmware. I wrote my own via a Linksys wrt linux firmware for a pptp vpn. The only thing I never figured out was the e911 issues. Looking at the pdf, neither did Avaya...maybe I'll sell them my version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back