Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Happy Belated 10th birthday IP Office 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarGoSki

Programmer
Mar 11, 2005
US

I started working on these in 2003 with R1.3. I immediately both loved and hated it. Loved it cause it was cool and hated it cause the 403 was kinda grumpy and like playing with explosives. Boom. There goes the config.

I really liked the 406V2 and now I am rather fond of the IP500V2. The day I programmed spam calls to route back to the received ID was a particularly happy day. Ah the memories...

So happy belated birthday to you.

I went to boot camp on 3.1, 3.2 came out that same week. My first install was 4.1. Self taught from then on. Love it!!!

My first exposure was to Network Alchemy @ V2.1

I learnt the hard-way how to recover a wiped unit with an Argent office that I had obtained from a friend with no details on passwords or IP addresses after trying AT-X in desperation.

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Started around 3.1

Love it, even if it is a pain sometimes. Nothing quite like sitting on site trying to DTE a unit. Fun fun fun.

Agree with the playing with explosives part. *

APSS/ACIS/ACSS-SME
not arrogant, just succinct.

DTE is not that hard.
Get a spare unit and do it a couple of times.

You can even upgrade it that way

It will save you some stress when it actually is needed on a site.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Oh I'm well versed in how to do it, but doing it on a demo system isn't quite the same as doing it on site with a brick.

APSS/ACIS/ACSS-SME
not arrogant, just succinct.

If you want then i can brick it for you :)

BAZINGA!

I still have a 403 that blinks at me that I know I can recover....

Reading all this makes me think you are all rookies, I started working with IP Office from release 1.0. and I still do work with it. Before that I have installed a lot of Network Alchemy systems and I've installed the first AVAYA INDeX networked with the IPNC (which is a IPO as a linecard in the INDeX) outside the UK.
I think IPO is older then 10 years but i can't remember, the tech bulletins started later as the introduction of the IPO.

If it ain't dutch it ain't much

But Intrigrant, you are a bit older then i am :)
I still remember the course you gave to me and some colleagues in 2005.
The brand new 5400 range phones which you showed me with a smile.
I was introduced to it because Avaya bought Tenovis which i was doing in these days.

Time flies when you are having fun.
Hopefully there will be another 10 years of IPO coming (and i hope a lot more)

BAZINGA!

Perhaps it did start earlier but how often do we refer to tech bulletin 1. Also the tech bull is IPOs effective birth certificate. Its born-on date.

My children were born when they started breathing and not on the day my family and friens received a birth card.....
And yes I am old and crumpy but I always liked working with IP Office although I lost most of my hear when we started to deploy release 3.0

If it ain't dutch it ain't much

IPO has paid for two houses and two relationships haha Started at Index and NA 2.1.

Cannot shake it

[cheers]

Started in UK 2003 version 1.3. Just before joining this forum.

Boot camp instructor insisted the IPO was not a PABX. It was a router with some telephony function.

Was happy when they gave it a bit more telephony function.

Started at 2.0. Have supported some NA's and IPNC's linked to IPO's. I still miss the pickup button flashing up on the 2030's when a member of your group was ringing! There's a feature I'd like to see return...

ACSS (SME)

One of these days everything will work as it should, and then we'll all be out of a job!

We did the second ever install in the States. The site had a 406 with 100 phones and 1.1 software. My son was born a week before the install and I swear that I didn't see him until he was 1.

The training we received was comical. The instructor told us that T-1s can only have 24 numbers associated with them because they only have 24 lines. The three day course was cancelled after the instructor finally said - "To hell with this!" and left on the second day.

I sat with our demo 403, 2 4412s and my laptop for three days with the VMPRO Exercise book that an Avaya Support person sent me and just learned it.

That site is still our customer which is unbelievable since they lived through four Avaya Engineer visits, constant rebooting and 10 incremental upgrades in that first year.

I do love this product and anytime I start to hate it I just remember how pissed off I would get trying to connect to WINSPM through a modem and have it just disconnect.

Kevin Flounders

Nice post Gents! I've found my earliest tech spec from 14th January 2002 issue 2, I still have all the old Admin VM pro and PM software zips even when VM pro was free with the Alchemy.

There was more to learn more about "what not to do" then what it could do! I've definitely bricked a few in my time. :)

Independent Engineer
Avaya IP Office - ACSS, Panasonic and Samsung PBX's

Well. I got in with v4. And my memory has cases when I had to reset on IPO using DTE through remote PC 1000 miles away.
We all hate and love IPO but I think we should admit that it brings us bread and butter for dinner (sometimes even more)[2thumbsup]

Kolob4all, 4.0 was a real challenge :)

BAZINGA!

I don't know I think R7 and R8 have been just as bad if not worse than R4 was, what with all the patches and basics broken, licencing issues, handset functioning issues etc, it's pretty bad :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back