Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H323 trunk to IP Office 403 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauneee

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
GB
Hi All

Firstly, an apology - I posted the following in Definity but was told this maybe a better forum (as it probably relates to the IP 403)... Right, here goes!...

I guess this is more of a "Why does it work at all?" question - so here goes...

Currently have CM 3.1.5 and all is well with that but the business pays for an external conferencing facility - ah ha! I can do this with our current switch so, sure enough (after a bit of searching here - thanks guys for various setup guides posted) managed to get it working fine with the standard limitation of 6 way conferencing...

Now, kicking round, I've got an IP Office 403 so the thought goes "Maybe I can trunk to it and use it's (ok) "basic" conferencing facilities (as it allows upto 63)" so, updated it to latest firmware and setup H.323 trunk to it fine... Now, I can call it (the 403) and speech is fine (even passes display etc) but when I call from an extension on it back to an extension on CM I just get waiting for line - ok, bit more digging about and silly me has just noticed it's not got the voice compression module in it (as getting no vocoders error) - but here is my quesion (finally got there!)

Why on earth can I call phones on it??? If there are no voice coders present on the 403 surely I should be able to get speech that way either! Indeed, just set up 10 "channels" on the trunk and made 10 calls into the 403's Conference facility and its all ok - just can't call out on it!?!

Here's hoping someone can explain it for me...

Thanks in advance

Shaun

I had something simular on a 406
No vcm card ans only ipphones
I could make a call but no speech

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Morning everyone

Well another bright sunny day and I've already been playing - I can only go on what I said earlier (which kind-of agrees with kwing112000) - I simply can not get an call originated on the IPO to go over the IP trunk line so it definitly looks like there is some kind of IP resource in there only it's just for inbound! [ponder]... (SysMonitor is defintly giving me a "PRN: Not enough (1) vocoders for the call: Extn (201) -> Line (9)" for an call originated on the IPO)

Intrigrant - have tried your suggestion - have setup a meetmeconference and got a couple of phones on the IPO to connect to it - then "connect via the triunk" to the same conference and presto! speech across all devices... Can only guess that this works due to someting doing the IP <--> TDM on the conference bridge itself

Be interested on others findings - guess for what I intend it for (a "cheap" conference bridge) it is spot on...

Just took the VCM card out of my system and all you get is busy, on calls in/out and conference. It appears you have a unique system there unless it's only 403's/lower software as I tested on R5 :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

Now that is more-or-less what I would have expected! It has to be some kind of "quirk"... Wonder if it is anything to do with the specific model - with mine being a DT (did they do any other model?) running 3.0(580) firmware can only assume there is some resource in there that bridges the DT ports / IP phones / PRI interface and doing it the way I am is somehow exploting that (rather than specifically needing a VCM) *but* when I try and make an outbound call from the IPO it is specifically looking for a VCM (as the call is being placed on an IP line)...

Going to fire my dusty old 403 DT up now to find out :)

amriddle01: Out of interest, what are you trunking from - if I read your post correct, assume it is a CM5 platform?

CM2 or 3 I think, I don't tend to play with that side of things......luckily :)

Well, just to put a damper on things I just did it with the 403 DT and I get the same as you, calls in OK but not out, so unfortunatley yours isn't unique :)

Well at least it is consistant then - guess downer on my side as lowers any potential value on eBay (as it's not unique) ;-) - has to be something to do with how things are internally bridged then I guess - I really can't explain it otherwise - still, as it's only going to be used for an "inbound conference bridge" suits me down to the ground...

Many thanks to all that have posted and proffered advice/help/results

i dont have a CM here to test, but i do have a 403. so you are saying i can take the vcm out, and throw calls into it over an IP trunk, and get full speech. with no vcm?

Shocking.

Never argue with an idiot. bystanders won't be able to tell the difference.

Hi TomMills

If it is a 403 DT then.... sort-of... (Indeed, think amriddle01 would confirm that - see his previous posts) - Ok, I'm trunking from CM 3.1.5 but guess that should be largely irrelivant as it is just a H.323 trunk (and in my case using 64K ALAW 20ms packets) - you definitly get speech on "inbound" calls on the IP trunk (in my case, set up CM to allow dial access to the trunk then simply dial the trunk followed by an IPO "local" extension - so if I do 148201 my POTS phone on the IPO rings - can then pick it up and get full speech - good eh!)...

Really wanted to use it for its conferencing capacity so for me would work as all calls via the trunk are actually inbound :) (interesting enough, if I then join a local IPO phone to the conference get full speech on that as well)

Doesn't work ipo to ipo.

406 on v5 > 403dt with no vcms, get busy boths ways. pop the vcm back in and its works as normal.

Ok think amriddle01 has already tried that - where have you pulled the VCM from - the 406 or 403DT (indeed, does the 403DT have a VCM in it)... What I suspect is that as long as something is talking to the 403DT via an IP trunk, the 403DT will get a speech path - if you've pulled the VCM out the 406 then you technically have no way of talking to the 403 as I can confirm the 403 can't place a call without one (VCM)... (sorry if my assumption is wrong and you pulled the VCM from the 403)...

Sorry i worded that a bit wrong.i have VCMS in both they are my mess about boxes :).

i have an SCN set up in here 403-406-500. It might be because i have SCN. ill try making them just IP trunks.

Either way i pulled the vcm out of the 403 and left it in the 406. and got busy both ways.

Cool - no worries... Maybe SCN is the issue - my 403DT is just setup as a plain old H.323 IP Trunk (although not sure on amriddle01's setup when he managed to replicate my findings) - if not, sort of pours water on my bonfire - back to the drawing board as to why on earth I can get 1 way calling!...

Might be a pain getting hold of a vcm for a 403 nowadays, maybe look on ebay?

ill let you know what i find when i change the trunks.

To confirm I have an IP trunk from the Definity box, I tried no VCM in 406 got busy both ways, changed the 406 to the 403 (no VCM) got calls into the 403 DT with speach path bothways but calls out got busy, I haven't tried 406 with VCM to 403 without :)

406 with VCM to 403 no VCM rings busy both ways

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Westi - it's definitly a 403DT isn't it?

This is a very strange thing, Westi did you untick voice networking, only thing I had ticked on the trunk was Out of band DTMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back