Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group Ring 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2009
US
Hi Everyone,

First of all, this is my first post here. I am new to the job and know next to nothing about phone systems, so please forgive my ignorance.

We are set up so that whenever someone calls our 800 number, all the phones in the sales dept. ring at once. I've been tasked with figuring out a way so that only one or two of these extensions ring before going through to the whole group.

At first I figured this would be done through Group Calling - and it would be a simple matter of changing from a Group Ring to a Linear hunt type. Failing that, possibly setting up a support group. However I never made it that far because no Group Calling seems to be set up at all. I've been poking through WinSPM and I can't seem to find how this group ring is being accomplished. There's nothing under Group Coverage, and there doesn't appear to be Personal Lines set up for the extensions.

Any ideas as to what I am missing?

Is the 800 number coming in being answered by the Auto Attendant first?

Do a print with WinSPM under group calling and see which group has the ext's that ring assigned to it.

Thanks for the response!

I don't believe it is being answered by an auto-attendant. It just rings straight through to those extensions. At night calls go to an extension with a common voice mail box.

I did the print in WinSPM - there is one group with SOME of the extensions that ring in it. But I don't believe this is what's controlling it. Because some extensions that ring are not listed here. Also, it was set up with a Circular hunt type, whereas these extensions are all ringing at once. With Circular just one extension should ring at a time, right? Unfortunately there aren't any other groups set up that I can see.

800 number routes to local DID. Print PRI and find the DID number. It will point to the destination. Perhaps a phantom x. If so perhaps the other x's have a cover button of the phantom x on their phones.

Also if you identify what the button is programmed as on the ringing phones should give you some kind of indication how it is set up.

Just to add to CarGoSkis' comment: if the button is programmed as a cover button for example. It would tell you what extention it is covering.

Thank you both!

Nothing came up when I printed the PRI Info, but when I examined the phones I found they were all programmed with a primary cover button for a certain extension(PrmryCov xxx -I). I can't believe I didn't think to check that before. I think setting the majority of these to PrmryCov xxx -D, and customizing the ring delay if necessary, is going to accomplish my original goal.

Is this a common setup? As I was trying to find answers I think I read that "A given sender can have up to eight Individual Coverage receivers covering calls." Including the voice mail extension I believe we currently have 8 now, so it's not currently a problem, I just hope we don't have to add another extension.

What is the "best practice" method of having an outside number ring to a group of extensions? It seems like Group Calling would be a lot easier to manage, but I still don't understand how outside lines are being directed through the system, so I think changing it right now is beyond me.

In any case, the original problem is solved, so thanks again to both of you for the help!

If you want outside calls to ring on a bunch of extentions - either immediately or delayed - you can assign those extentions a pool button for the lines - and then make that pool button either immediate or delayed ring. This will work with regular phone lines - but not PRI channels (lines).

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

There is most likely and adjunct set up with the D.I.D. then coverage buttons are used to create a "group" like effect. What I would do I create a group for this and route it through the AA if possible. I Think you might be able to use a group as a D.I.D. as well. Play around with it by using a D.I.D. that is not being used so you can test it.

Is there some kind of report I can run to find out how external calls are being routed? I tried printing the PRI report, but it was blank. I'm not sure how to tell if there is a DID that's not being used. Sorry again for my ignorance here...I think I need to find a good book to study=)

I would print an extention report for a few of the extentions that ring on incomming calls - and post one of the reports here - that way we can see how the ringing is setup.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Below is the extension that an outside call rings to. I understand that all the other phones are ringing because they have Primary Coverage buttons for this extension. What I don't understand is how the system knows that when someone outside dials our 800 number they should be routed to ext 210, or how I would change that. All I really know is that I'm in over my head =)

A EXTENSION INFORMATION

A Extn SS/PP Type
A 210 6/16 MLX-10D

A CTI Link : No Alarms: ACTIVE
A Pool Access :
A Page Group :
A Primary Coverage : 307 311 6500 302 304 305 306 309
A Secondary Coverage :
A Coverage Group : 30
A Call Screening : OFF
A Group Coverers : 770
A NS Groups :
A Auxiliary Work Time : NOT ACTIVE
A Group Calling Member:
A Group Calling Log In:
A Agent ID :
A Pickup Groups :
A Allowed Lists :
A Disallowed Lists :
A Restrictions : UNRESTRICTED
A ESS Sup. Status : NOT ACTIVE
A ESS Restrictions : ESS-0 - NO RESTRICTION
A Auto Callback : OFF
A Call Waiting : OFF
A Abbreviated Ring : ON
A Line Preference : ON
A Shared SA Ring : ON
A Receive Voice Calls : ON
A Coverage Inside : ON
A Forwarding to :
A Delay Forwarding : 0
A Rmt Call Frwd Pool :
A ARS Restriction : 3
A Forced Account Code : No
A Microphone Disable : No
A Rotary Enable : No
A Remote Forward Allow: No
A Trunk Transfer Allow: No
A NS Exclusion : No
A Voice Announce Pair : No
A Voice/Data Pair : No
A BIS/HFAI : No
A Language : English
A Authorization Code :
A 2B Data Port : No
A Primary Ring Delay : 2
A Secondary Ring Delay: 2
A Group Cover Delay : 5
A HotLine Extension : No
A Networking and ISDN Display Preference: NUMBER
A Service Observer:
A Service Observing Group:
A EXTENSION INFORMATION

A Extn SS/PP Type
A 210 6/16 MLX-10D

A Button 34 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 33 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 32 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 31 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 30 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 29 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 28 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 27 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 26 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 25 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 24 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 23 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 22 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 21 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 20 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 19 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 18 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 17 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 16 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 15 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 14 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 13 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 12 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 11 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 10 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 9 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 8 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 7 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 6 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 5 *47 Do Not Disturb Status Off
A Button 4 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 3 *18 SysAcc-OO Ring Status None
A Shared System Access:
A
A Button 2 *16 SysAcc Voice -I Status None
A Shared System Access:
A
A Button 1 *16 SysAcc Ring -I Status None
A Shared System Access:
A

There is nothing on the extention report to indicate why that particular phone rings on incomming calls - so my guess is that you have T1/PRI service - and the 800 number is directed to ring at this extention. Do a print out of PRI informastion and post it here. It may also be that you have a plain vanilla T1 - so print the T1 info as well and post it here.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

In your Primary coverage, what is the 6500? Is that the last 4 digits of the number people call to ring this group? Is 6500 and Adjuct or extention? Is your T1 vendor sending 3 or 4 digits? How is the T1 programmed? Also the 800 number, if not part of the T1 D.I.D.'s might be forwarded to, lets say for example: (800) xxx-xxxx forwarded to (xxx) xxx-6500. This is one scenerio. Maybe if it gets too complicated for you, I might have some time to remote into the switch and look at it. Hopefully you will have it fixed before it comes down to that though.

Thanks again guys for continuing to humor me. Technically, thanks to your help my problem is fixed - the phone system is behaving as requested. I'm just curious how this all works for my own benefit. I appreciate the offer of remote assistance but I don't think that will be necessary. It's not an urgent problem.

I'm not sure what 6500 is. It's not an extension (at least not one that seems to be in use) and it's not the last 4 digits of the outside number. When you dial it from inside it just says "Your call is being transferred to the operator" and rings to ext 100. I'm afraid I don't know much about how the T1 is programmed.

PRI report was blank, T1 print is below. Also included Ext report for 6500 if that helps. I think I may be beyond help at this point. If you would recommend any good "phone systems for dummies" type books, let me know =) Regardless, thanks again for all your help!

A PRI INFORMATION

<this was blank>

-

A DS1 INFORMATION

A DS1 SLOT ATTRIBUTES

A Slot Type Format Supp Signal LineComp
A 7 T1 ESF B8ZS Rob_Bit 1

A CSU/DSU ATTRIBUTES

A Slot 7
A CSU: Deactivated
A Assigned Channels:
A DSU: Deactivated
A Data Port 1
A Receive Clock: DTE
A Invert Transmit Clock: No
A Invert Receive Clock: No
A Invert Transmit Data: No
A Invert Receive Data: No
A Rate: 56 kbps
A Assigned Channels:
A Data Port 2
A Receive Clock: DTE
A Invert Transmit Clock: No
A Invert Receive Clock: No
A Invert Transmit Data: No
A Invert Receive Data: No
A Rate: 56 kbps
A Assigned Channels:

A EXTENSION INFORMATION

A Extn SS/PP Type
A 6500 5/11 MLX-5D

A CTI Link : No Alarms: ACTIVE
A Pool Access :
A Page Group : 793
A Primary Coverage :
A Secondary Coverage :
A Coverage Group : 30
A Call Screening : OFF
A Group Coverers : 770
A NS Groups :
A Auxiliary Work Time : NOT ACTIVE
A Group Calling Member: 772
A Group Calling Log In:
A Agent ID :
A Pickup Groups :
A Allowed Lists :
A Disallowed Lists :
A Restrictions : UNRESTRICTED
A ESS Sup. Status : NOT ACTIVE
A ESS Restrictions : ESS-0 - NO RESTRICTION
A Auto Callback : OFF
A Call Waiting : OFF
A Abbreviated Ring : ON
A Line Preference : ON
A Shared SA Ring : ON
A Receive Voice Calls : ON
A Coverage Inside : ON
A Forwarding to :
A Delay Forwarding : 0
A Rmt Call Frwd Pool :
A ARS Restriction : 3
A Forced Account Code : No
A Microphone Disable : No
A Rotary Enable : No
A Remote Forward Allow: No
A Trunk Transfer Allow: No
A NS Exclusion : No
A Voice Announce Pair : No
A Voice/Data Pair : No
A BIS/HFAI : No
A Language : English
A Authorization Code :
A 2B Data Port : No
A Primary Ring Delay : 2
A Secondary Ring Delay: 2
A Group Cover Delay : 5
A HotLine Extension : No
A Networking and ISDN Display Preference: NUMBER
A Service Observer:
A Service Observing Group:
A EXTENSION INFORMATION

A Extn SS/PP Type
A 6500 5/11 MLX-5D

A Button 34 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 33 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 32 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 31 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 30 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 29 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 28 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 27 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 26 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 25 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 24 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 23 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 22 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 21 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 20 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 19 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 18 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 17 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 16 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 15 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 14 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 13 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 12 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 11 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 10 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 9 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 8 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 7 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 6 *22 Group Call 770 Status None
A Button 5 *21 Blank Status None
A Button 4 *40 PrmryCov 210 -I Status None
A Button 3 *18 SysAcc-OO Ring Status None
A Shared System Access:
A
A Button 2 *16 SysAcc Voice -I Status None
A Shared System Access:
A
A Button 1 *16 SysAcc Ring -I Status None
A Shared System Access:

OK - there does not seem to be much info re PRI or T1 - maybe you have analog DID's vs. T1/PRI or T1. Does your system have a board labelled "800 DID" installed - and if so - is anything connected to it? If you do a print of the "sysSet-up" - it will list out all of the installed modules.

Ext 6500 looks like a regular ext that has a "cover" button on it for Ext 210.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Could be T-1 Tie DIDs. Trunks\Tie. If extension to match then 800 number would be ported to DID that ends with 210.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back