Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Group by Week Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmrock

Programmer
Sep 5, 2006
US
I am trying to create a query that groups data by week. However the week should be Saturday to Friday.

Any ideas how I should convert my date to Friday and then I can group/sum my data based on that date.

Thanks .

Use the BOL (Microsoft Books OnLine) and look up 'SET DATEFIRST'. You can use that to set the first day of the week to Saturday. I suggest that your code set it to Saturday at the beginning and then at the end set it back to what it currently is. You can 'capture' the current first day of the week with @@DATEFIRST.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Is there anyway of doing it without changing the SET DATEFIRST?

In Oracle I can do something like this SELECT next_day(trunc(sysdate)-7,'Thursday') dtWeek FROM DUAL;

You could try grouping by:

DateDiff(Day, 0, DateAdd(Day, -5, YourDateColumnHere)) / 7

This will not depend on your DateFirst setting. It does depend on the fact that Jan 1, 1900 is a Monday, but even the best "History Re-writers" can't touch this! [bigsmile]

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

How do you use this DateDiff(Day, 0, DateAdd(Day, -5, YourDateColumnHere)) / 7 to display a date?

[!]DateAdd(Day, 7 * [/!]DateDiff(Day, 0, DateAdd(Day, -5, YourDateColumnHere)) / 7[!], 0)[/!]

If I am not mistaken, this should show the Friday date. If you want to show the Saturday date, then change the last 0 to 1.

DateAdd(Day, 7 * DateDiff(Day, 0, DateAdd(Day, -5, YourDateColumnHere)) / 7, [!]1[/!])

Not tested.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back