Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goto Record in Parent form from Subform selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesRudd

Technical User
Jul 10, 2001
AU
Good day, I'm rather new to Access and have been teaching myself by trying to make a book cataloging database. I have very little VBA knowledge, and so far the information in these forums has been a great help.
Recently I started using subforms. I have a parent form which contains all the information on the books, with the data stored in the table Items. I have added a subform which is a shortened datasheet of Items. I would like to be able to click on a record in the subform to make the parent go to that record.
I'm currently using a combo box to select records, but it doesn't provide the same filtering and sorting ability as a datasheet. All records have a ItemId which is created using an autonumber.
Any Advice or Suggestion would be extremely welcome.
Thank you
James

A subform is a sub dataset of information related to the parent. Not the other way around. You subform should not be displaying any information that is not already relevant to the parent record and only the parent record. If you're actual relationship is the other way around then you should make the current parent the subform to the current child.

Thanks for your reply.
I thought that may be the problem but I don't know how to show a normal form as a subform of a datasheet. I tried having another parent form, which contained both datasheet and entry form as subforms on the same level, but I didn't know how to link them.
Is there a way to show a justified form as a subform of a form in datasheet view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back