Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got A doozy for ya 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphips

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Have I got a problem.

We just changed our ISP and all I did was go into the Exchange server and change the DNS and Gateway settings in Microsoft Neighborhood on my 2000 exchange server box.

Now my backup exec keeps coming up with the error "Please enter the unique Exchange mailbox name that belongs to the backup Exec Service Account"

I have tried everthing that Veritas said to do with no luck.
I have reinstalled Backup exec with the old Account
I have reinstalled Backup Exec with a new account.

I still get the same err.

Any help will do - only thing Veritas said to do was

FixMapi and Regsrvr32 cdo.dll but nothing worked.

Thanks

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

Do you have a mailbox that backup exec can use to access the other exchange mailboxes?

Did you try to re-establish a connection to the mailbox on the Exchange Server itself? Also, try to remapp to the Exchange Server's IP.

Also, verify you can do a NSLOOKUP from the V-Backup server.

Gonzarelli

rols

Yes I have a mailbox with access to the other exch boxes - at least I believe so How do you check?

gonzarilli

I have outlook running with the backup mailbox if thats what you mean

??? remap to exchange server's IP can you explain

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

1. Where is Backup Exec installed? Is it on the Exchange server or another server?

2. Where is the domain controller for this Exchange org?

network

1 Domain Controller (windows 2000 server)
1 Exchange server (windows 2000)
Back - up exc runs on the exchange server

bob

Jones' Law

Good. Where does the DNS for your AD reside?

When you changed the gateway and DNS server info, did you happen to remove the domain controller? Did you modify any of the Advanced Settings, like the search list?

This may be obvious, but, to me, it seems like the Exchange server is having trouble querying AD for info on the service account for BE. Does exchange start normally? Are there any errors in the App log on the exchange server? I assume that at some point you re-created the MAPI profile that BE uses.

Barring any obvious solutions above, you may want to consider running dcdiag or netdiag from the exchange server.

jbud
my DNS is on the primary domain controller.
No I didn't remove the domain controller
The only thing I have changesd is the DHCP settings

Only have foward lookup in the DNS.

what does dcdiag or netdiag do?

bob

Jones' Law

my DNS is on the primary domain controller.
No I didn't remove the domain controller

Ok, so the Exchange server should have the DC as its primary DNS server.

The only thing I have changesd is the DHCP settings

I suspect this means that you only modified scopes for your DHCP clients. I hope you're using a static IP for your Exchange server, and that this would not affect it. Is the DHCP server also on the DC? That's not really important.

Have you considered creating a ptr record in DNS for your Exchange server?

You should read more on dcdiag and netdiag here:

I really think they will help you. With the level of detail you've provided, I really think this is a DNS/AD issue. I'm surprised that Exchange was able to start at all.

Thanks for the info jbud

my exchange server is staic IP so DHCP should have no effect.

I have everything I can think of short of reinstalling exchange.

bob

Jones' Law

Question Jbud

My DNS here isn't really the DNS in other words I foward all request to the exterior DNS that is at our new ISP

can this be the problem.

And if so How do I fix it.

bob

Jones' Law

For my theory, the important questions to ask are:

1. where does your Active Directory DNS reside? It should be on your domain controller. It is possible, but not very likely, that your previous ISP was providing the DNS that defined your AD.

2. can the Exchange server connect to the domain controller and DNS for AD?

My DNS here isn't really the DNS in other words I foward all request to the exterior DNS that is at our new ISP

So, on the properties of the DNS service on your DC, you have configured forwarders that point to your ISPs DNS servers? This is pretty common, and I can't imagine that is what is causing the problem. Does name resolution for external domains work?

Trust me, if your problem is truly dns-related, dcdiag and netdiag will find it.

Jbud

I tried netdiag and dcdiag no problems there.

I shipped the sgmon.log off to Veritas and hope they can tell me what is going on.

I contacted the ISP hosting our DNS server and everything there is cool.

who knows what is going on but it seems to be a Veritas problem since non of my other servers or users are having DNS problems. and they connect up to thier mailboxes.

Stars to you for all the great knowledge you parted onto me and really had me check all the nuts and bolts of the system. I really enjoyed it. Now its up to Veritas.

bob

Jones' Law

Well I think Jbud has some good idea but I have to wonder if its just getting back to the basics with this. Have you confirmed by technote That your backup exec service"s" account has a unique mailbox on the exchange server? Are there hidden mailboxes that may not make the service account name unique?

What version of Backup Exec?

I had the same problem a while back. I think it had to do with the selections when you create the backup job. Forgive me for being vauge here but it was a while ago that I did this. I had to deselect the drive that exchange creates on the server and only select the exchange options that appear in the backup exec selections tree on the exchange server ie. Microsoft Information Store. hope this helps.

Kopfjager

Its backup exec for NT and windows 2000 version 8.5

steveot
Oh its unique alright - that was the first thing I checked

I've been all over Veritas and tried everything they suggested

Right now its in Veritas hands - and most likely is something stupid I missed, but thats why we pay for support.

bob

Jones' Law

I remember seeing this dialog box. Isn't that box for email notification? You can check in notification to see if some account information was corrupted or something strange like that. Since our Bacukp Exec 8.6 runs on our Exchange server to, we just use 'localhost' for the SMTP mail server to send notifications...

Try this

Rename the BEWINUI.UNI file.
Stop the Backup Exec services.
Find a rename all occurrences of the file BEWINUI.UNI.
Restart the Backup Exec services.

If Outlook 2000 is installed, copy the file \Program Files\Common Files\System\MAPI\1033\NT\MAPI32.DLL to \Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT
Cycle the backup exec services

steveot

Just tried your suggestion - no go

thanks any other ideas

bob

Jones' Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back