Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got A doozy for ya 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphips

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Have I got a problem.

We just changed our ISP and all I did was go into the Exchange server and change the DNS and Gateway settings in Microsoft Neighborhood on my 2000 exchange server box.

Now my backup exec keeps coming up with the error "Please enter the unique Exchange mailbox name that belongs to the backup Exec Service Account"

I have tried everthing that Veritas said to do with no luck.
I have reinstalled Backup exec with the old Account
I have reinstalled Backup Exec with a new account.

I still get the same err.

Any help will do - only thing Veritas said to do was

FixMapi and Regsrvr32 cdo.dll but nothing worked.

Thanks

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

rphips

Login to the server with the backup exec service account - I take it this account is the one with the mailbox.
Then try and select the mailboxes - does this work?

Also on teh exchange server search for esebcli2.dll - make sure this is the same version which is on the backup exec server - do a search on there - you may have 2 versions - might need to delete 1 of them.

Also what version of Outlook is on the backup Exec server - I think you can only use outlook 2000 SR2 or XP SR1.

Justin2000

My backup server is the same ad the exchange server\
Outlook is Outlook 2000
The mailbox works it sends and recieves emails but backup exec still pops the error

"Please enter the unique Exchange mailbox name that belongs to the backup Exec Service Account"

bob

bob

Jones' Law
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

bob

OK, what this means is the mailbox must be unique in the first 5 characters of the mailbox.

So if you had a mailbox called admin and one called administrator - backup exec would not be able to tell the difference between them and continually pop up the message.

You can test this in Outlook, open it open, create a new message, type in the first 5 characters, press Ctrl-K - does it resolve to 1 mailbox or do you get a list?

Veritas have a technote about this - or use to, found a few more which may resolve the issue if the above doesn't..

Justin2000

I tried that before and I have those tech notes - been all over Veritas - I finally had to put in a email help desk call to Veritas (we don't have support) and I had to wait 4 days for them to tell me the same thing. So I sent it back to them - Now I am waiting again.

I just don't understand how change the DNS setting in Microsoft Network could effect Backup exec this way.

bob

Jones' Law

What a just blowing out the service account all together.
Change the service account and services to a user called "xyz". Make sure its a domain and exhange admin. Create a mailbox called xyz. This should be unique enough. Stop the backup exec services and rename c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt\data\bewinui.ini - Backup Exec password file to bewinui.old. Start the services and see if you can attach to mailboxes.

Well I just bew away the backup users - blew awy backup exec.(totally) even removed the remote agent from the PDC (didn't work either)

recreated a user called "quark" total unique reinstalled the backup exec software on the backup server (exchange server - one in the same)and installed the remote backup agent on the PDC.

You would never guess wha happen "NOTHING"

same error and now the backup exec cannot find the remote agent

oh woo is me - alass I am just going to blow it up with dynomite - anybody - Veritas just keeps telling to do the same thing over and over again.

bob

Jones' Law

rphips

do a search on the server for mapi32.dll - you are looking for one about 128k in size.
There is usually one in a 1033 folder (I can remember the whole path to it) - something like \program files\common files\microsoft shared -
Anyway,once you have found it, copy it to the c:\program files\veritas\backup exec\nt directory.
restart the backup exec services..
Now do the mailboxes show up?

justin2000

tried it - nope didn't work either

I think the server is screwed so it looks like a reinstall
just so much fun

thanks for all your help everyone. I really do enjoy Tek-Tips

bob

Jones' Law

I was haveing the same problem. Try reloading the remote agent every now and then. I can usually get past that problem, but then the job just sits there and does nothing. It doesn't fail, or do anything. It just says running and never goes away. I am trying to restore a mailbox. But when I started it was doing the same thing.
Can anyone help with this problem? I was on the phone with Veritas for about 9 hours and they were clueless. They even said I should try downgrading to 8.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back