Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good thinking Batman 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo1973

MIS
Aug 4, 2004
GB
Where did this phrase come from?
Obviously the series/film Batman but I don't seem to remember this is a catchphrase as such, not like "gee willickers" etc
I have noticed a lot of my age group (30 something’s) use this phrase when a good idea is formulated.
Are my colleagues and I the only ones who use this phrase or has anyone else noticed this?

Regards, Phil.

M.U.F.C. Show your true support here:
"Shares not Shirts

Houston, we have a problem!"

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

elanor,

I've seen that phrase (and variations thereof) with increasing frequency as the juggernaut that is Episode III looms nigh.

P.s. I hate myself for getting excited about it's release. I've been hurt by Lucas before and worry about letting my guard down.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Hey, anotherhiggins,
Oh my! I hadn't actually made that connection, which is pretty silly, considering the crushing amount of advertising they've unleashed.

I know what you mean - I think most people have at least some Lucas issues...but hang in there. I mean, how many Jar-Jars can a person suffer in a lifetime?
Thanks!
Elanor

Sleipnir214,
Holy oleo, Batman! We're about to be boiled in butter! gets my vote, too.
Tranman

One of my favorites is "Laaaaaance"! (From "Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp".

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

My favorite Batman quote used to be "Let's go Batman!" Robin used to say it after he and Batman ran up the back of the batcar and jumped in. In high school I owned an MG Midget convertible but never owned a top for it. My best friend and I used to run up the "boot" and jump into the seats and he's turn to me and say "Let's go Batman!" You should have seen some of the looks we got in shopping center parking lots! It was good for some great laughs.

Another Batman quote I've heard used on occasion is "To the Batcave!"

Tracy Dryden

Even better than Laaaaance is what he says "So. What your theooooory Darwin

Glad to see I'm not the only "Lancelot Link" fan. Although ostensibly written for children, the show was so full of puns, humorous references and visual jokes that an adult (more or less) would get more out of it than a child. Referring to his chief as "Professor Darwin" was one, the fact that the chief looked like Lewis Carroll (the chief in the "Man from U.N.C.L.E" series another, and his female partner being named "Mata Hairy" another.

Tracy Dryden

[rofl]
I'd forgotten about Lance, talk about dating us. My favorite fallback for quotes always rolls around to
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

Glen A. Johnson
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848
If you're from the Chicagoland area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

I am suprised that you guys forgot about Star Trek... I think it should at least get honorable mention...

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Windows reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

You mean like:

"Beam me up, Scotty!"
"But Kiptin, I kanna hold 'er togither much longer!"
"Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a <insert profession here>!"

ST-TNG:

"Make it so, number one!"
"Engage!"
"You will be assimilated!"

Tracy Dryden

Get Smart is another favorite:

Missed it by that much. (with appropriate tiny space gesture with hand)

Would you believe...

When something becomes helplessly broken at work, we reference the classic Inspector Clouseau (sp?) in this exchange:

Inspector smashes piano with the mace attached to the glove stuck on his hand..

Woman: That's a priceless Steinway!
Inspector: Not any more.

Of course, it must be said with that wonderful accent that Peter Sellers invented. :)

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Inspector: Do you have a massage?
Hotel Clerk: No, there is no message.
Inspector (disappointed): Thank you.
Hotel Clerk: By the way there is a message for you.

or

Inspector: The man outside the bank had a minky...
Chief: A minky?
Inspector: What?
Chief: You said minky.
Inspector: Yes, I know I did.

Since we started with Batman, how about
&quot;Look, up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's SUPERMAN!&quot;

Another good one I know of is another Batman, but I can't post it here for real. I'ts &quot;Holy ******balls, Batman.&quot;

Glen A. Johnson

Dr Frankenstein: Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in?
Igor: You won't be angry?
Dr Frankenstein: I promise I will NOT be angry.
Igor: (pause) Abby someone.
Dr Frankenstein: Abby someone? Abby who?
Igor: Abby. . .normal.
Dr Frankenstein: So what you're saying is that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a
half-foot-long, fifty-four inch-wide GORILLA!!

I love Mel Brooks.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Keep in mind, when he's says that, it's in Blazing Sadles, and he's holding the gun to his own head.
[rofl2]

Glen A. Johnson

Why Sir, you look like the Piss Boy."

"And you look like a bucket of $#!t."

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

One more thing, the quote was not exact. You have to watch the show to get the proper quote. Don't want to offend anybody here. And last, if you're easily offended don't watch the show, because you will be offended. For those of you that have seen it, you know what I'm talking about.
[rofl2]

Glen A. Johnson

One of my favorites is when Count DeMoney is taking to his friend Bernaise and says "Don't get saucy with me Bernaise!" A really bad pun, typical of Mel Brooks.

Another classic some of my friends and I used to use a lot is "It's twue! It's twue!"

Tracy Dryden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back