Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good thinking Batman 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo1973

MIS
Aug 4, 2004
GB
Where did this phrase come from?
Obviously the series/film Batman but I don't seem to remember this is a catchphrase as such, not like "gee willickers" etc
I have noticed a lot of my age group (30 something’s) use this phrase when a good idea is formulated.
Are my colleagues and I the only ones who use this phrase or has anyone else noticed this?

Regards, Phil.

M.U.F.C. Show your true support here:
"Shares not Shirts

I don't recall the phrase being all that common in the show either. I think someone(s) just took the Robin "style" (e.g. "Let's go Batman!") and paraphrased it.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

It would not suprise me if Robin actually uttered that line in the live-action 1960s TV series. I seem to recall that line, but it may be such a probably line that if the character never said it, he should have at least once.

Robin uttered my all-time favorite line from that series in the episode where he and Batman were about to be dipped head-first into a vat of boiling butter: Holy oleo, Batman!

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

In fact, "Good thinking Batman!" was uttered several times throughout the 60's series by none other than Commissioner Gordon.

I don't use this expression myself but when I've heard it, it is generally said sarcastically - not as a compliment. I think of it being akin to "No s***, Sherlock."

But maybe I'm just too cynical....

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Grenage said:
...we say is here too!
Since my screen is not equipped with "remote GPS", I cannot see where "here", Grenage, you'll need to give me a hint...Where is "here" for you?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Could this have been a reflection of the transition from the "Leave It To Beaver" & "The Rifleman" type of moralistic entertainment, to the irreverant, poke-fun-at-society entertainment that emerged in the 60's?

[batman] <flo'r pow'r>

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

My apologies for both the spelling and being unspecific :)

Portsmouth, South England.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

batman-tv-series-batman-robin-4000246.jpg

Glen A. Johnson
"Trust time, for it tends to provide sweet ways out when facing bitter difficulties"
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (1547-1616), Spanish writer
Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

I have heard the saying and also the less popular "Where'd you park the squad car, Dick Tracy?".

Although this is far more derogatory in general..

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393 & sign up if you'd like

Holy Guano, Batman
Guano being bat poo...

Have a nice day today, and a better day tomorrow!!!

A well-placed, sarcastic "Good thinking, Batman" is one of life's little pleasures. I also like "Danger, Will Robinson," "My spidey senses are tingling," "Skiiiiiipppppperrrrrrr!" and the classic "...and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids." I'm sure there are many, many more - I've never heard the Dick Tracy one, so thanks, DPlank!
And yes. I did watch WAY too much TV as a child!
Thanks!
Elanor

...our favorite tv/movie phrase around here is from Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke.

When someone asks something like "How long with this take?"
The reply is
"A week...a day...a weekday!"
--Jim

Slightly off topic but maintining the Batman and Robin theme...

There are a series of one liner jokes which are referred to as northsider jokes in Ireland one of which asks: -

Q. Whats the difference between a Northsider and Batman?

A. Batman can go into town without Robin.

elanor,

You and me both... [wink]

Cheers,
Dave

Probably the only Test Analyst on Tek-Tips

animadverto vos in Abyssus!

Take a look at Forum1393 & sign up if you'd like

I just thought of another one (well, I just used it in an email and thought "Hey...that's one of those phrases!) that I've used (and heard others use) when I've exhausted all of the regular channels, without success: "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobe, you're my only hope."
I guess it proves I watched too many films, too.
Thanks!
Elanor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back