Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Global Catalog 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoJACK

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
hello everyone,

I'm trying to setup Exchange 2003 on a member server (running WIN server 2003) and I received this error message when I ran the DCDiag tool on the member server.

The server that I'm trying to setup Exchange 2003 used to be the PDC. I transfer all of the FSMO roles over to another Win 2003 Server (let's call it DCSERVER) and then demoted this server (let call this EXSERVER).

Once I transferred all of the roles over and demoted EXSERVER, I noticed that DCSERVER didn't have the Global Catalog selected in the NTDS, so I selected it as the Global Catalog server and then rebooted.

I'm currently trying to setup EXSERVER as an exchange 2003 server and received this error message when running the DCDiag tool.

Starting test: Advertising
Warning: DCSERVER has not finished promoting to be a GC.
Check the event log for domains that cannot be replicated.
Warning: DCSERVER is not advertising as a global catalog.
Check that server finished GC promotion.
Check the event log on server that enough source replicas for
the GC are available.
......................... DCSERVER failed test Advertising

I have checked all of the DNS settings and they are all correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
LoJACK

What does the directory service log on DCSERVER say about the promotion to a GC?

Do you have any other Domain controller in your environment? Are there any other Global Catalogs?

It sounds to me like you got rid of the only GC in your environment and that is causing problems.

Have you rebooted DCSERVER since telling it to be a GC?

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I have check the event log and everything looks good:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: NTDS General
Event Category: Global Catalog
Event ID: 1869
Date: 3/15/2004
Time: 6:43:28 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer: DCSERVER
Description:
Active Directory has located a global catalog in the following site.

Global catalog:
\\DCSERVER.ny.am.superfund.local
Site:
Default-First-Site-Name

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

The DCSERVER was rebooted after assigning it GC role. EXSERVER was the only GC in the environment before I demoted it. I transferred all of the FSMO roles over or I thought I transfer all of the FSMO roles over.

Is there something I can do now to fix the damage that I have caused?

Thanks,
LoJACK

I would use NetDom to query all 5 of the FSMO roles to make sure that all is well. If any are missing, you may need to seize roles if this is the only DC left in the environment.

Regards,

Mark

I ran NetDom Query FSMO with the following results:

Schema owner DCSERVER.company.local
Domain role owner DCSERVER.company.local
PDC role DCSERVER.company.local
RID pool manager DCSERVER.company.local
Infrastructure owner DCSERVER.company.local

so as you can see.. everything seems to be okay

Thanks,
LoJACK

Can you run dcdiag /v again?

Also, am I correct in assuming you only have one domain? If so, the GC shouldnt have a problem advertising. How many DCs do you have?

I have 2 DC on the network. I'm able to run DcDiag on both DCs and everything passes... but I get the error message only when I run the DcDiag tool on EXSERVER.

Thanks,
LoJACK

From the command prompt what happens when you run 'telnet DCSERVER 3268'?

You should get a black box with a blinking cursor. If you do, then I'm not sure why the dcdiag is failing.

yup... that is exactly what i got when I telnet into the DCSERVER.. a black box with a cursor

Thanks,
LoJACK

EXSERVER used to be a DC on the domain.. could that somehow cause the error?

Thanks,
LoJACK

You said you had two DCs in the domain, DCSERVER and one other one. Is the other DC also a GC?

If not, you may want to try making it a GC, or moving the infrastruture master role from DCSERVER to that other DC.

the DCSERVER2 is not set as a GC but I will make it a GC also and let you know the results.

thank you for all of your help so far guys.

Thanks,
LoJACK

WOOOHOOOO!!!!

well the problem is finally resolved..

1. made DCSERVER2 into a GC.
2. removed GC from DCSERVER.
3. ran DcDiag tool against DCSERVER2 and everything passed
4. made DCSERVER back into GC
5. ran DcDiag against DCSERVER and everything passed.

thank you mlichstein and markdmac for all of your help.

one more question.. should I just have both of my DCs as GC or it doesn't really matter?

Thanks,
LoJACK

I'd keep it as is for redundancy.

Regards,

Mark

Yeah I would make them both GCs. I think the problem was that you had your GC running on the same box as the infrastructure master.

By making all DCs in a domain GCs, you get around that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back