Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SBS 2008 Sp2 Global catalog problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flinx

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2001
US
We just did a migration from Windows server 2003 sp2 to Small business server 2008. The migration did not, and is not going well. There are global catalog issues, specifically the following errors repeat every hour on the 2008 server:

Active Directory Domain Services has located a global catalog in the following site.

Global catalog:
\\SERVER.domain.local
Site:
Default-First-Site-Name
-----------------------------------------
Active Directory Domain Services attempted to communicate with the following global catalog and the attempts were unsuccessful.

Global catalog:
\\SERVER.domain.local

The operation in progress might be unable to continue. Active Directory Domain Services will use the domain controller locator to try to find an available global catalog server.

Additional Data
Error value:
1722 The RPC server is unavailable.
-----------------------------------------------------
Active Directory Domain Services was unable to establish a connection with the global catalog.

Additional Data
Error value:
8430 The directory service encountered an internal failure.
Internal ID:
3200ce6

User Action:
Make sure a global catalog is available in the forest, and is reachable from this domain controller. You may use the nltest utility to diagnose this problem.
--------------------------------------------------

There do not appear to be any error messages relating to the GC on the 2003 server. I have follow the diagnostics per this document
Both servers can communicate on port 389 but not 3268. There are no firewalls between them. All other replication is working fine.

On the 2008 server if you ping it by name you get a response like this:
Pinging SERVER.domain.local [fe80::7ce7:57fd:8dea:2e8a%10] from fe80::7ce7:57
fd:8dea:2e8a%10 with 32 bytes of data:
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.
General failure.

Ping statistics for fe80::7ce7:57fd:8dea:2e8a%10:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

The server does not respond to itself with an ipv4 address.

Pinging from the other server gets this response:
Pinging server.domain.local [10.0.0.25] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.25: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.25:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Starting over is not an option at this time as one of our techs removed exchange from the old server before testing what would happen if the server was disconnected from the network. We had to manually recreate the GC on the new server (53 users).

SO as you can see this is a real CF.

Any serious suggestions?

I misspoke we did not remove ipv6 today, but it will be removed at some point in the near future, if we cannot find a solution.

Any more suggestions.

Sorry, i'm not familiar with the migration procedure so my suggestions may not be on target.

Is the old server (Server1) still part of this network?

"Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=2084). Exchange Active Directory Provider has discovered the following servers with the following characteristics: (Server name | Roles | Enabled | Reachability | Synchronized | GC capable | PDC | SACL right | Critical Data | Netlogon | OS Version) In-site:SERVER1.domain.local CDG 1 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1SERVER.domain.local CDG 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0"

If server1 has been removed i wouldn't expect to see it listed above. Are all the FSMO roles on the SBS2008? does the metadata need to be cleaed up to remove traces of the previous DC?

I was not lead on this migration, however I just checked the server and it appears that IPv6 has been disabled, and the old server1 has been demoted to stand alone. The original error is no longer showing up in the event viewer.

As I originally thought the problem was most likely caused by IPv6. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back