Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting the result set from a stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacsinte

Programmer
Oct 5, 2003
CA
Hi,

I need to get and be able to process the result set returned by a stored procedure in the calling stored procedure. How can I do that?
I don't want/am not allowed to use table valued functions.

Thanks,
Bobby

CREATE TABLE #Result_table(
like your result set
)

INSERT INTO #Result_table EXEC your_stroed_procedure paramter1, paremter2, ...

Iker

Thanks, but create table automatically commits if I'm correct ( i'm not sure about temp tables).
One solution that i found was to use a cursor and leave it open (close it and deallocate in the calling stored procedure ).

Thanks again,
Bobby

Don't use stored procedure, use Multistatement table-valued functions or Inline table-valued functions(I think, you need Multistatement...). You can read about user-defined functions in BOL.

Thanks sneki,

as far as i know you still cannot call a stored/extended stored proc from a function.

Thanks again,
Bobby

Try inserting the resluts of the stored procedure into a temp table and then using the temp table within the calling stored procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back