Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting recipient name is not recognized messages (Genuine recipient

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelvinchi

MIS
Dec 6, 2001
KY
Getting the message below, but the recipient is valid. Mail has been sent to recipient many times with no problem. This appears to be random. Some mail gets through to different users at the same site.

Any Ideas???? Exchange 5.5 Sp4

The recipient name is not recognized
> The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Australia Japan
> ;l=AJC-SQL-011206134636Z-528

I've got this problem too. Anyone know why?

I found this to be caused by my server being blacklisted due to an unsecured mail relay problem.

If you have smtp re-routing turned on, but not tightly secured, you may get blacklisted.

Go to the following url and type in the address of your server, this will tell you if you have been blacklisted:

If this is your problem, let me know and i will pass on a resolution.

Laters,
Nelvin.

I have the same problem, however i am not black listed. Did you ever find out what was causing the issue or have a solution??

open properties of IMC (Internet Mail Connector), click "Routing" tab, then choose "reroute incoming SMTP mail (required for POP3/IMAP4 support), click Ok, then stop and restart IMC service.

dkpeppard - we have the same problem but already reroute smtp mail - any other suggestions?

Hi guys,

We are experiencing the exact problem as mentioned by nelvinchi. The problem is the same for anyone on our network trying to send to "anyone@example.com" they receive the error:

"The recipient name is not recognized
> The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Australia Japan
> ;l=AJC-SQL-011206134636Z-528"

The really bizarre thing is that we can receive emails from this domain no problem but any emails replyed or sent to the domain get the "recipient not recognised" message.

I have tried most trace routes, nslookups etc etc and still to no avail. Our system already has "reroute incoming SMTP mail" selected.

Trying to find a resolution to this problem and if anyone can offer information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steel

I am having a very similar problem but it is only happens with one user. I can send mail to a fellow employee but when he invitest to a calandar even and I send my response I get "donk on 02/05/2003 9:59 AM
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=mazamacap;l=MAZAMACAPITAL0-030205175911Z-817
MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:email:MAZAMACAPITAL02
"
the user still gets the reply, but I also get the failure message. It is very strange. Please advise.

Hi guys am having the same problem like the one above. I can send mail from yahoo or hotmail but not thru' exchange 5.5
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:
Sent: 2/4/2003 11:10 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

agjoh@boon.net on 2/4/2003 11:10 AM
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=PC;l=PCSERVER-030204081011Z-2
Can Somebody help. I need the answer rather urgent

Hello,

I've nearly the same poblem

Domain user x has an exchange 5.5 account.
The user has a custom recipient account too with an external e-mail address associated with it.
The mail that is addressed to his internal e-mail address must be forwarded to his external e-mail address.
When an domain user sends an e-mail(addressed to his internal e-mail address) to him, the e-mail is forwarded to his external e-mail account. But when someone
with an external e-mail account sends an e-mail(addressed to his internal e-mail address) he receives it in his exchange mailbox, but not in his external account.
The sender receives the following message:

Your message

To: X@domain.nl
Subject: 10.41
Sent: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:42:58 +0100

did not reach the following recipient(s):

x@hotmail.com on Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:41:41 +0100
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=* ;p=*
;l=*

In the past the forwarding rule was working.

I think you guys need to check your NS, A and Mx records to see if they are setup properly.
Here is a website that you can do the check.
or use this software: pc network tools v4.2

Good luck to all!

I have had similar messages randomly from users.
Checked with ISP, everything OK and server set up fine.
However, when I looked in
SITE/Configuration/Servers/SERVER/Private Information/MailBox Resources area in the MS Exchange Administrator I found that the Internet Mail Service was disabled.
This appears to of been caused by mailbox limits set in Private Information store Properties. When I cleared these or increased to massive numbers, the IMS mailbox then became enabled again (shown as 'below limits') and users can now send external emails.
Hope this helps.
BTW: Anyone know how to view the messages in the IMS mailbox as it is showing 150megs of messages in it!!! [surprise]

I have the same problem, I was told to go to IMS in exchange admin, go to Routing, make sure "reroute incoming SMTP" is checked then go to "routing resrictions" and make sure that "hosts and clients that successfully authenticate" is checked.
This will turn off the open relay, then contact your ISP and they will get your external mail working again.
However, I have a disclaimer on my emails and therefore had the "instead of the table use this custom routing program" box checked. If I keep this then the table will not be used and the relay will still be open. Is there a way of turning off the relay and keeping the disclaimer?

Brontosaurus,

I did use that option to set up the disclaimer in the first place, but I thought you had to have the "instead of the table use this custom routing program" box checked. for this to work. I have had to uncheck this so I can use the routing restirctions.
will the disclaimer still work?
(I cannot check yet as my ISP takes 24 hours to reconnect my external email!)

thanks

you can uncheck it. as a matter of fact, if you read the article, it says MS doesn't recommend that, as it hurts the routing table.

Thanks for that. I have a new problem now. My Exchange server is still being used by someone as a router. When I had a look this morning there were 5000 emails inthe outbound queue. I thought by putting these restrictions on I would stop this. I have had to stop IMS as my CPU is up to 100%!
What can I do to stop this. I phoned my ISP and they said they can do nothing about it.
But now I have no external email facility for staff.
Is it up to my ISP to stop this? or has some one got in through my firewall?

There is a simple way to solve your problem, you can just close you smtp port on your firewall or your router and let smtp request only passthrough from inside all the smtp from the outside can be blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back