Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting read receipts after the message has already been read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rschic

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
US
I have a situation where a client sent an e-mail requesting a read receipt. Well now she is getting a read receipt from this one e-mail 2-3 times a week. This e-mail was read months ago by the recepient and is archived in a pst file on the recepient's local hard drive. I've went into the properties of the e-mail and it shows the "request read receipt" box being checked off but the option is grayed out and there is no way to uncheck it. Has anyone run across this before and/or knows of a fix???

Thank you,
RSCHIC

rschic-

Sounds like the read receipt may be caught in a loop on the e-mail server. The inbound message queue needs to be checked on the client's (sender's) mail server. I've had this happen in exchange and have read that anti-virus software can cause this to happen.

Adminman

Hey Adminman,

How did you indentify which inbound queue the message was looping in?? I'm running Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 2000. For anti-virus, I'm running Trend Micro. Any feedback you can give will be greatly appreciated.

RSCHIC

RSCHIC-

Check the inbound message queue in the Internet Mail Service (IMS). In 5.5, goto Exchange Administrator, Connections, IMS, Queues. Check inbound messages waiting conversion and inbound messages awaiting delivery. If you find the message there delete it. There maybe other messages queued, don't delete those. There is a document on technet , but I don't remember the # or what I searched on. Good Luck

Adminman

Hey Adminman,

I looked through the inbound and outbound conversion/delivery queues in the IMS to no avail. This read receipt is looping internally. I had to actually restore the DSADATA directory from backup but the mailbox received another read receipt the very next day. I've also checked the MTA queues and haven't found it in there. Do you have any other suggestions???

Thank you for all your help,
RSCHIC

RSCHIC-

Are you sure this isn't looping on the senders side?! Off the top of my head, I don't have any other suggestions for your end.

Sorry,

Adminman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back