Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Field NOMODIFY Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsjames

Programmer
Apr 7, 2003
US
I am using VFP9 and would like to Scroll or Page through multiple pages [combination of pictures and text] of a General field. Is it possible to do this while also preventing modification(s) to the field? I'd like the customer to scroll through a readonly General field.

Not sure about this, but my first thought would be to set the control's AutoActivate to 0. That way, the user can see the text or image, but can't activate it.

By the way, I'll bet the next person to respond to your question will tell you never to use General fields. I agree that these should be avoided if possible (there's always a better way of doing it), but I realise you might have good reasons for doing so (or you might not have a choice in the matter).

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

Mike wins his bet. Don't use general fields. ;-) (I do agree about not having a choice, etc.)

The obvious answer is USE thetable NOUPDATE, but I'm not sure if the OLE object in the general field will respect the VFP NOUPDATE clause.

That's just one of the problems with general fields. VFP doesn't own the data in there, it just rents space to whatever application is registered in the Windows ooze for that type of data. How the object behaves is entirely dependent on that application.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried those options without sucess. I will review other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back