Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Database Question 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

modmac

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2003
US
I have a general question and am looking for input. The company I'm currently employed with is using several different MS Access databases for recording and reporting. There are several problems, 1)they are all seperate databases, 2)people are using different versions of Access, 3) we have no one person who know hows to rewrite/create new reoprts. Now I have been asked to see if there is a better way. I understand and can get around the different Access version issues. I know we could with some help combine all the databases into one. The purpose of the databases is to track jobs, sales quota, commission etc... We need to keep the data for historic/comparison etc.. I'm somewhat good with excel but wasn't sure about keeping history. So here is my question: What do think would be the best choice for us? excel access, sql, or something else.

>> SQL 2005 Express and MySQL 5.0 do not

That is incorrect. I have Oracle Express running and the management tools are horrid compared to SSMS for sql server and the many management tool available for MySQL at absolutely no charge or license agreements

Where did you read that? Can you please post links to references when you state those things please. It helps discuss them

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
You are a amateur developer until you realize all your code sucks.
Jeff Atwood[/sub]

Sorry, I really don't feel like registering especially if they stated out there allegations like that. Surly if this is true the resource can be found at the dozens of respectful free viewing community sites or more importantly the companies themselves.

Jeff Atwood[/sub]

I don't think lespaul meant database management tools like SSMS is for SQL Server but IDEs to create the GUI to the database. Exactly there are very few of them. Access could also handle data from MS Sql or any database providing ODBC access plus it's already the GUI to those small local systems you want to pull together. And a userbase of 3 users is not hard to handle with a GUI like Access.

Bye, Olaf.

Sorry about that "Jeff." I forget sometimes about which sites are registration required...

What it actually said about Included GUI Management Tool was that:

SQL 2005 Express: No, available separately
Oracle Database XE: Yes; Web based
MySQL 5.0: No; third party available

< M!ke >
Acupuncture Development: a jab well done.

I did not go into each link and didn't want to make a blanket statement:

No other database has a Development environment

I don't know that the above is a true statement. That's why my original statement was ambiguous...As far as I know, Access is the only database that contains the development environment, but I don't KNOW that it really IS the only one.

Sorry for the flurry.

Leslie

No worries 03Explorer. I just hope you do not take that article seriously because it really is wrong. I work with all of them (MySQL in the past) and to be honest I can't believe it says that.

My take for what it's worth. Access has no place in a production process that there is a need to deliver critical business information. The OP pointed out some of the reasoning behind this.

My largest one is "people are using different versions of Access". You are in a completely hostile environment towards your development efforts with MS Access. Really this is not what the application was meant for. It's a user application not a fully qualified stable platform.

A comparison to SQL Server Express leaves no questions to why would even consider Access. If you look at GUI development for your data there are several points you must consider

1) n-Tier. Would you rather have your data on the same level as you GUI where the user is directly interacting and altering it? Umm...not me. If you can develop VBA code to create some forms in Access you can open up Business Intelligence that is part of the client tools installation for SQL Server (Or the Express IDE environments that are free to use by MS) and write a interface to the data. I've never seen a n-tier application architecture model where the data tier is on the same level as the GUI.

You can integrity, much better handling and layering and security. That being security of your data and security from your users breaking everything.

2) Versions and Upgrades. OK. How many times have you heard the story, "Someone opened my access database in a newer version and said yes to convert it and now it's broken and my backup is at the bottom of the Hudson cause the off-site transport avoided a car crash and went of the south bridge". Really, where is the disaster/recovery model with a desktop application?

It's critical for us as professionals in our respected fields to provide sound and stable products so we retain our image and keep going forward.

Jeff Atwood[/sub]

ahh..I can see what they were getting at them LNBruno

Thanks for setting it straight :)

Jeff Atwood[/sub]

>> Sorry for the flurry

Don't be Leslie. It's a good conversation. These are the ones that we learn the most from as long as they stay under the [flame] level :)

Jeff Atwood[/sub]

Hey "Jeff" (I like your blog ;-) )

>>>Access has no place in a production process that there is a need to deliver critical business information.

I have to disagree. Access is a perfectly acceptable front end (provided that the company's IT department keeps everyone up to date on versions!). Its' reporting tools are not THAT awful either, for what it is.

Any data that I NEED to have, I am sure as hell not going to store in access. But I have no problems interacting with it and displaying it through access.

Just my 2 cents...

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

What? Nobody uses Notepad to write VBScript/JavaScript in ASP pages anymore? ;-)

< M!ke >
Acupuncture Development: a jab well done.

Textpad all the way for scripting!!!!

Jeff Atwood[/sub]

Wha hoppened?

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Thank you all, You have all giving me the insight I needed.

This project is way more then I want to take on without a professional programmer.

Thank you Again.

We sometimes use Excel as an alternate front end for database querries with ODBC using views.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

SQL Server comes in a workgroup edition now that sounds perfect for you. Much less expensive than the standard edition and it functions well for the workgroup.

Of course, you're looking at writing some code so that may be a problem if your organization doesn't have a developer which sounds the case since you've got multiple versions of Access. Either way, getting everyone on the same version of Access is probably a must....

ModMac,

We had a very similar problem where I work, so I instigated some changes.

Now we have all the data tables in MySQL (free!) with access front ends (recognisable to users).

The access front ends also have password-protected forms that load new data when it is available so generally getting into the guts of the MySQL is not required.

It does, however, allow very competent users to start writing SQL directly in some cases, so gives us an obvious learning environment too.

If you want to know more - let me know; maybe I can email you directly and give some some more details. If this sounds like a good way to go to you of course...

Good luck!

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back