Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Basic Questions about Avaya 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

svcguy

Technical User
Jul 28, 2007
Hello all,

I have a friend who's asking me to help with the IT/security/phone setup for a new small dentist office. I've done the first two before, but never a phone system setup. I'm doing some basic research on different phone systems and I have a couple of basic questions that Google can't seem to answer for me. I don't know all the details yet on the requirements for this phone system but it's probably only going to be a few incoming lines (2 or 3), maybe 6 or so extensions and 1 or 2 voicemail boxes.

1. Are there any special requirements for the actual phone lines? (can they be POTS lines or is a T1, DSL or something else required?)

2. How easy is the Partner system to set up (not really looking to do anything out of the ordinary), can a realtively smart guy set this up without any experience?

3. Does the Partner system fit these basic, somewhat vauge requirements?

Thanks
Andy

Andy

How easy is the Partner system to set up (not really looking to do anything out of the ordinary), can a realtively smart guy set this up without any experience?

yes but your not going to get max performance

the best thing would be to get a phone vendor in to analyze the needs and set the system up to maximize the features

once its set up then you can take over maintenance

I'll 2nd what Skip said about getting a vendor in to do the Partner ACS install.

In general, the Partner ACS uses standard loop-start POTs lines. There are/were T1 and SDSL modules available for later revisions of the ACS, but they are expensive and not commonly used.

T1 users would probably go with a Merlin Magix as opposed to the Partner ACS.

Any POTs line that carries ADSL will need to be filtered before the line is connected to the Partner.

Thanks for the info,

I haven't yet done a walkthrough with the customer, so I may not even be on the hook for the install, so to speak, but I may offer up the advice you've given me here. This is mostly information gathering work I'm doing.

Dexman, regarding your post: Say this customer gets standard copper lines from the provider, say with ADSL and say 4 lines. I could then probably make a CAT5/CAT6 run from the demarc. Could I install say a Leviton DSL filter board and terminate the lines exiting the DSL board to RJ11s (RJ45s) and plug them directly into the Partner module?

I may also have a chance to play with the Partner system in a non-production enviornmnet to get my feet wet. That being said, and this potential customer doesn't require anything tricky, what would be involved (high-level, not step-by-step) in a typical install?

Hi Andy,

The Partner ACS needs only a single pair cable to plug into the Bell demarc. CAT5E and above is really not needed.

From the demarc, I would have 1 pair of wires feed the DSL modem and a 2nd pair feed a simple DSL filter which, in turn, can be plugged into one of the telephone line jacks on the ACS processor.

Generally speaking, installation of a Partner ACS involves:

1) Configuring the processor for the correct number of telephone lines.

2) If there is a voicemail being used, point the telephone lines and correct ports towards the voicemail system.

3) Program the voicemail as needed.

4) Program the ACS processor as required.

5) Program each telephone station's required features.

6) Perform required testing.

This is, obviously, a very broad/general list. Specifics would require more detailed explanation and be beyond the scope of the forum.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

This is the kind of basic info I'm looking for. I'd like to gain a little experience with the Partner system and see if it's something I can do ($$$). I don't have the experience with phone sys installs and I want to dabble a little. At the same time, I want to give the customer what they want and need and learn a little, if possible. I'm most likely doing the cabling/IT end, hence the cabling questions. Thank you, you've given me the info I need for that part.

Andy

I would add that the most complex part of this (in my opinion) is programming the Partner system to "talk to" the voice mail. The voice mail instructions have a page that talks about the steps you need to take. They basically establish the relationship between the system, lines, and voice mail and deal with things like what lines go to voice mail, is it different day or night, what are the physical extensions of the voice mail ports, etc. All the documentation is available on the Avaya web site and if you have the opportunity to work with it in your office before you install it you should be fine. This forum is also great for answering questions.

Thanks all, again!

I hope I have a chance to play with this stuff and possibly install it and learn a little bit at the same time. If I have any questions, this will be the first place I start after RTFM, of course. :)

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back