Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Garbled outgoing voice on 3300 MCD5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCXaus

Technical User
Dec 5, 2011
AU
One of my remote offices has a 3300 running MCD 5.0 which is connected to my main office via VPN. They have a BRI card handling their incoming trunks.
For the past month they have complained (not to me, of course, God forbid they talk to the technician!) of garbled voices when they make calls. Initially this was blamed on the VPN between the offices.
Yesterday the VPN was taken down but they are still complaining of garbled calls. I called them via their external number and it sounds like they are at the dge of mobile phone reception - dropping in and out in the middle of a word, etc. Apparently they can hear me just fine and they only know of the problem when they have to ring the office or customers complain.
I have gotten them to turn on VQ monitoring so I shall see what that shows up. In the meantime I have gotten the maintenance logs from the system and I can see some worrying events.

"IP Network Dropped 5.55 percent of Packets from phone 192.168.5.19Total Rx: 8521 Lost=501 maxLossBurst=2 1 in a row: 439 2 in a row: 31 3-5 in a row: 0 6-10 in a row: 0 11 or more: 0"

This I expect as it's from the calls I made for testing this morning. It seems to indicate internal network issues to the phone itself.

DAM audit recovered EtherCnn 0 at cab = 1 shelf = 1 slot = 11 circ = 1 in state 5 owned by non_existent pid hex 00 applic 0, link handle = 0

I have no idea what the above message means - it isn't related to any calls as it is constantly in the list even up around midnight. Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

:code.poet:

What is the audio like when they make internal calls from IP set to IP set?

What is the audio like when they make internal calls from IP set to TDM device?

What type of phones are they making calls from that exhibit poor audio quality?

Thanks,

AS EngVOIP asks what is the call quality in his senarios? If you called them via their external number then its a call via the BRI to the E2T within the controller ( as long as they are IP sets ). You mention a VPN so that seems to suggest problems on IP to IP calls via the VPN. Is that true? Are the phones at the remote office on the same subnet as the controller?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

5.5% packet loss is not great. Above 2-3%, you will notice audio side-effects.

Also, in some scenarios, if the packet loss is limited to 1 packet at a time, and the call is G729, you are generally fine as G729 has a built-in packet loss compensation that works fairly well. It's when you start to lose bursts of 2 or more packets, then it's noticeable.

I'd look into why packets from that phone (192.168.5.19)are getting dropped on route to the E2T.

Call quality at internal calls (only IP devices onsite) are fine, except from one particular phone (the receptionist phone - 5340). External calls are fine to all other extensions except the ones that get picked up by the receptionist.

I have the people onsite replacing the reception phone with another - hopefully it's as simple as a dud phone or some shonky cable. The VPN issue(s) may have been a red herring - however, the IT boys haven't yet brought it back up so I can't test calls over the VPN to other extensions there.

She use a headset?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

She does use a headset, but still is affected when using handset.

Yesterday, we put a POE injector on her phone and repatched her cable so it doesn't plug into the switch on the CXi - now it goes into the standard network switch.initial tests showed the issue gone (was out of the office most of the day so will re-check today).

The POE injector has solved the issue, she hasn't had any mroe instances of distorsion since. Same cabling was used - the only difference was an injector between wall and phone, and she now plugs directly into network switch instead of the CXi's POE switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back