Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frozen Taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2003
US
I'm having an odd problem I've never run into before. I run Windows XP SP2 on a corporate domain. I'll lock my Desktop while away from my desk for a few minutes. When I return and ulock it, my Taskbar will be frozen. I cannot click any of the Quicklaunch icons, open the Start Menu or switch to any of the windows using the taskbar. The programs themselves work fine and I can ALT-TAB between open programs without any problems.

After a minute or two it will start working fine. I've watched task manager and there are no unusual processes running and no extra processor activity.

It takes a few minutes for it to happen after I lock the desktop. It almost appears to be some kind of hibernation mode.

Tried searching for some answers on the web but haven't found anything similar. Anyone have any ideas?

How about network activity? Is anything on or about the taskbar associated with a network drive or device?

Hmmm smells a bit like power management/hibernation. I would make sure those are turned off and see if that changes anything.

Jock

Nope, Nope and Nope....

A hibernation thing was my first guess also. Disabled everything I could think of and no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back