Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front end Back end...issue with relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrosky

Technical User
Aug 1, 2001
AU
Hi,

I am still quite an Access newbie.

I have a db that is split to Front End/ Back End.

My Questions are as follows

1/ Should I have different Relationship windows for both .mdb files (I do at the moment)?

2/ What does the relationship type "One to Many (External)" mean?

I have tried searching the site but have had no luck.

Any help is great.

TIA.

petrosky

Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

Your relationship for your tables should be established at the backend MDB file where your physical tables are at. Your Access front-end will see the relationships when it works with the tables

The relationship type of "One to Many (External)" means that you have a primary key relationship between one table and a foreign key in a secondary table. The (External) nomenclature means that Access understands the the tables it sees are "linked" and therefor the relationships are managed at another external database.
If you are looking at this in the relationship designer within the front end, you will note that all the editing controls for modifying the relationships are disabled.
petersdaniel@hotmail.com
"If A equals success, then the formula is: A=X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." --Albert Einstein

Thank you for the heads up.

Regards,

Peter Remember- It's nice to be important,
but it's important to be nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back