Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FoxPro Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

JorGeVaL

Instructor
Feb 27, 2001
CO
Hi ,

I am running FoxPro V. 2.6 for Unix on my Linux Kernel 2.4.17 and when i try to run fox whit a user other than root i get the message :

Cannot Create Program WorkSpace: File Access Denied

Any ideas ?

Thanks !!!

Jorgeval, I can't help you with your problem but I sure would like to know where I could pick up a copy of FP for Unix.
I've been looking on Ebay for months to no avail.
I want to get out of the MS trap as I think I see where XP is going to lead (if it,s not already there).
If you have any idea where I could get a copy or if you have a spare you want to part with, please let me know.
Ken F
addressstrartsafterthedot.tilltek@hotmail.com

Just send me an email address with space and i will be sending a copy of the 4 disks.

Big thanks JorGeVal. Use the address in my reply starting with "tilltek".
Ken F

Not sure what you've tried.. but since it appears to be running under 'root', I'd say take a look at the permissions of the directory that the app is located in, as well as any files/directories use by the app, you may need to change permissions to run as 'user' rather than 'root'

If files/folders are located in sensitive locations, or are sensitive theirselves.. I'd think real hard before modifying permissions

JorGeVaL : Foxpro for Unix 'is' on Ebay every once in a Blue moon, but be prepared to spend $$$ the version I purchased ended up costing me 850.00

DSummZZZ did you a favor by recommending
expecially if you intend on using this to develop products to 'sell' I'm sure you don't want to find yourself in a bind because you developed your item using ileagle software.

Other than that I can tell you it's a very hard item to locate.

Hope this helps

KC

BITFUZZY , Thank you for your answer but i am not running my application yet , first at all i want to be sure that the fox can run.

I changed the file permision on /usr/bin/fox to 777 or 4755 but i cannot run with an ordinary user.

You might want to check out the progress of the WINE folks. They're getting pretty close to getting VFP working with WINE under Linux.

I'm working with WINE on my Red Hat Linux 8.0 machine. I'll be posting my progress on the linux page on my site. Next step, running Foxpro for Windows 2.6 under Linux.

Also check out;

Chet Gardiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back