Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Formatting doesn't work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Aug 8, 2002
AU
I have a toshiba laptop, deleted the partition and tried to create new primary parition with fdisk but verifying drive integrity stopped at 30%, then started again and now stays at 0%. I tried with the original recovery CD but it stopped at creating partition (FAT 32). Does that mean that the HD is faulty?
Thanks.

Hi,

You could try a Low Level Format, it may recover your drive but it will take longer than a normal Format.

If you cant do that then I would suggest that the Drive be replaced.

Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

Thanks for the reply, but how do I do that?

Most drive manufacturers have such a utility on their website.

Low level format worked, I used maxllf utility as Toshiba don't have downloadable utility on their website. But the high level formatting still doesn't work. 'Fdisk' drive integrity check stops at 33%, then goes back to 0% and stays there. Is there anything else I can do or I have just to give up and replace the HD? Thanks.

sounds like your drive might just be giving up.
here's a lttle utility which creates partitions (among other things) - it doesn't run integrity checks like fdisk, so will probably fail when you format it. And disk is suspect. But if you want to try...

Hi
Have you checked the HD connection to the laptop?,
i.e unmount and mount it again.

I dont't know, but if the drive is doing this now. Maybe it's a precurser of things to come, you better change it. just to be safe.
Cheers
Axe

Have you got any Windows OS cd's such as win98 or 2000? Something besides the recovery disk? I would try booting from one of those and seeing if you can format the drive

could try a util called zerofill...if everything else fails...
will wipe out everything on the hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back