Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flash with XML database 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

wikfx

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2001
MT
Hi I am trying to do a client list for someone and they want soething like this: you have to go to the portfolio section of that page to see it. anyway is that done with an xml backend? I am trying to do it with xml so that it would be very easy to update can anyone help?

WiKfx

W i K

Well Pizzee I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem. When loading with the preloader the XML comes up just fine immediately for me (at several different bandwidths) There is a slight delay as the images are loaded, but other than that it seems to me that your preloader is already taking care of things for you. One thing that I did do (in the preloader) was get rid of frame 2. Your code does not require that frame to be there.

Am I missing something?

(sorry it took me so long)

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

howdy again!

now i'm trying to communicate with the XMLcon/DataSet from my gallery which i have loaded as a swf.

details:

so, I have put together an 'image gallery' .fla that loads image paths from an XML file using XMLconnector and DataSet components. all are bound correctly and gallery works well on its own (thanks for all the help to get this far!!)

now i have a 'Main' .fla page where i want to load in a 'Photo Page'.swf into a target movieClip, THEN i want to load my 'Gallery.swf' into that (that's right amovie clip, whithin a movie clip, within my Main flash movie!).

all the movies load( i can see the graphics of the 'image gallery.swf') but the thumbnail images, which should be loaded from the XML, don't show up. in fact, i put a trace message on a frame of the 'image gallery.swf' which is supposed to appear once the XML is loaded, but it never seems to load.

i read earlier posts in this thread that putting the Data Components on the 'Main' movies is what works, so i tried that, but still can't get it to go. all my calls to the DataSet have the "_root.DataSet" path but still no good. i also tried "_parent.DataSet" but no go as well.

is this only a 'path' problem, or is there something going on with the components that i am not handling correctly?

if at all possible i would like to keep the Data components in the loaded Gallery.swf - because i will have 4 different galleries in the end with each their own data (though if i could communicate effectively with the components on the Main timeline, i might be able to send it a variable with a path to a new XML file. ugh. that seems pretty compliated though ; ) )

anywayz, if anyone has any thoughts on this, i would love to hear em! let me know if you would like to see my code. thanks!

cheers
-t

thanks for getting back to me pixl8r...much appreciated. Yeah i figured it would load fast because it does load kind of fast on my computer. All i wanted to know was how i could just have something saying that it is loading. I know there's a delay for the pictures. I just wanted something for the pictures i guess just saying loading whatever percent. I just wanted to know how i could do that with regards to the code in my .fla. ;) JP

Hi Pixl8r
I am reading some data from an xml file but I cant seem to get certian fields here is the link to the xml file: I am binding my data to day:Array and I am able to read data but I cannot read data from the <part> section. can you help me with this???

Thanks

W i K

Hey Wik,

Seems to me that two datasets is going to be the answer. I can get the first one to work with the two datasets (<part> based on day 0), but I haven't yet figured out where the binding needs to be for the second dataset to change based on day selected.

Hope that points you in the right direction. I'm curious now :) Will let you know if I find something.

Hey Pixl8r,
are you using just 2 datasets or 2 datasets and 2 xml connectors? and how are you linking them? as I am still banging my head tryin to figure this one out, I was actually thinking of doin a page in .asp that reformats the data for me and creats a new .xml file for me but I dont really wanna add files that I might not need anyway thanks for now.

Thanks

W i K

2 datasets, 1 xml connector. Bind the first data set to the <day> array, and the second dataset to the <part> array. The question I am having is where to bind the two datasets together so the second set changes when the first set changes. Might actually have to use another connector so it can be triggered onChange of the first dataset.

ok I am gonna try to figure something out on it if I do I will let you know, thanks for now

Thanks

W i K

Pixl8r with 1 dataset in my targetclip I did a trace that looked like this:

trace("Part Trace : " + part);

it returned the data in the part tag than I did another 2 traces that looked like this :

trace("Part Day Trace : " + part[0]);
trace("Part Night Trace : " + part[1]);

the data is there and I can read it but I cannot read it right I am getting into the array and splitting it but I cannot split it again I cant seem to get into teh part sections anyway maybe from this you will figure something else out. Hope it helps

W i K

Lots of usefule stuff on here, but I was wondering if it´s possible to set the url property for the XMLconnector dynamically from a asp page variable? I can seem to figure out how to do it? Anybody have any pointers?

TIA.

Hey W I K!!
Im trying to do the same thing you managed to make:
To mesure the height of the clips, and place them according to that.
Could you help me out? I really need this.

thanks a lot!

Hi Stalker

can you post a .fla file that I can see and send back to you?

W i K

Hi! Here is the link - Its a blog-like thing, and now there are scrollers for each textfield, so when the text is longer you can scroll and see the whole thing, but it's not nice, and your solution would be great here! Thanks a lot for the help!

Hey Stalker

here is a link to the edited file I added a little code to autoresize your summary text field and the y multiplyer to get the height dynamically anyway hope this helps you understand. I also added some comments to the code. have fun

W i K

Thanks W I K but, there is some problem with the zip. I cant unpack it. Could you just post the link to the .fla. So there won't be such problem. Thanks a lot again!

I got it! Thanks for everything. But is just doesn't work properly for me. I've been playing around with the amount of txt in the summary, and when few nodes have much less text than the others, the mc-s are not placed properly, and overlay each other, or have large amount of space betveen them.
Would you check it out for me?
Thanks for your time! :)

Hi Sway... Sure you can load the dynamically from an ASP variable. You just have to pass the var into the flash movie. You can either do that in the embed code or you can load the variable from asp inside Flash. There are actually several ways you can do it. What's your poison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back