Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flash with XML database 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

wikfx

IS-IT--Management
Dec 16, 2001
MT
Hi I am trying to do a client list for someone and they want soething like this: you have to go to the portfolio section of that page to see it. anyway is that done with an xml backend? I am trying to do it with xml so that it would be very easy to update can anyone help?

WiKfx

W i K

Wulfgren: Unfortunately the file will only work in MX 2004 Professional. The components used are only available in that version.

Wik: Awesome. Glad you got it working!

Hey pixl8r

Ive been away for a bit, but I just wanted to thankyou for you help with my flash file. It works perfectly now, its exacly what i wanted!

Thankyou very much, probably talk to you again!

Regards

im back! Just a quick one for you! The gallery file that you did for me actually gets loaded into another file. When that happens all the text disapears! the list of images comes up but the text next to it doesnt. also when you click on one of them the larger text and image doesnt work. It must just be a linking issue because it all works when the file is run by its self.

me again! another quick one - i cant seem to be able to get the first client on the list to load into the DetailMC straight away???

wikfx- i'm having the same height problem, do you think you can post a .zip or something so i can see how to make this tutorial have variable height? that would be a biiiig help. and thanks to everyone that's contributed to this thread so far, it's been a big help!

Blaa I am able to load the file into another SWF and everthing works just fine. How are you loading the movie?

If you are loading it on a level that might cause the problem. There are several places where I used _root. If you have loaded the swf on a level you would need to either make that relative (this._parent) or _level1 (replace with the level you are using.

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

hey pixl8r,

im just using loadmovie. is ther another way? also i did a search for _root within everything including actionscript, and it came up with nothing?

Try using loadMovieNum("url.swf",1); (Where 1 is the level you are loading the thing into)

See if that helps. Look inside the target clip on the button for (_root).

Im not sure if i can use loadMovieNum because i have a target blank clip which i need the file to go into. [eg. loadMovie("home.swf", "section_pos"); ]

On the button i had already replaced that _root to _parent._parent._parent

The images work in both places, so why are the images different to the text??

I'm not sure I understand that last question. I think I would need to be able to see the whole thing to be able to help any more...

i have attached the file here

You can see that when you click on the logo the preview image comes up but the text in neither section does.
Also how would i get it to load the preview and relevant text of the first item in the list straight away without clicking on it.

thanks very much!

Your problem is that you are loading the swf's into target clips in the "holder" movie. Probably because of the GetNextHighestDepth() part of the attachMovie script.

The answer is to use loadMovieNum. The trick to doing this is that both of your movies must be the same size in pixels. You place the items exactly where you want them on the stage in both movies.

Secondly you can just add in if() statement to the dataset loop that calls the function in the detailMC for the first record.

Get it here

Hope that makes sense.

Sorry pixl8r that file was the same as my one? Could you please post the new one again?

thats awesome!! thanks very much!
and thanks for all your help throughout the whole project, i was completly stuck before i found this forum, but now i have exactly what i want and a lot more understanding too!

Cheers

Hey pixl8r...mx 2004 is new to me...i worked up this whole xml driven database thing for a client with the way u explained it on this forum. The problem i'm having is preloading it...i've tried everything from unchecking export to first frame and just arranging things. Am i missing something? Can u give me a way to preload this scrollpane component without any hassles as well as preload the xml in it? It would be greatly appreciated i'm kind of stumped...thanks ;) JP

Well it already pre-loads the scrollpane component on the first frame (in fact it does all the components). I would not recommend unchecking the box for that by the way. Unfortunately that makes it hard to do anything else on the first frame. Also you can't fire the XMLConnector until you have loaded the component, and the frame that fires the trigger won't execute until the components are loaded.

If you are just trying to show a progress bar or something like that then you probably want to create a completely different flash movie that has the progress stuff in it. You would then load the XML driven SWF into that "loader" movie, so you can monitor bytes loaded, etc...

Hope that makes sense.

Hey thanks for responding. I've tried everything dude...even what u suggested. I don't know if i'm missing something or not. I've just been having headaches. Below is a link of my file. Is there any way u can look at it and tell me what i'm doing wrong because obviously something is screwy. It would be much appreciated. Hope u have time to help. Thanks again. JP

I took a look and I see that your pre-loader is still in the movie that has the scrollpane and stuff. That won't work.

You have to create a completely seperate movie (fla) that serves 2 purposes. 1) Load the movie with the scrollpane and 2) display the progress of that load.

Here is an example:

Click Here

OldNewbie also posted an example in another recent post on scrollpanes and preloaders.

Hope it helps!

Thanks dude...damn i thought i could do that in the same .fla...that's weird. I don't know why i thought that. I guess was trying something totally different. Hey how would i preload the xml now. Anything simple i can do dealing with the xml connector?? JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back