Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fitting a table in a frame with rounded corners 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice44

Technical User
Oct 9, 2007
US
I am trying to put a table in a rectangular text frame with rounded corners. When I fill in the header cell, the table boundary does not match the frame boundary so the fill color does not have the rounded corners that I am trying to get. Is there a way to do this?

Do you mean like this???

Not sure I understand

Picture1.png

Marcus

Not exactly. What I would like is to have the table centered at the top of the frame, the top or header cell filled with a screen, and the fill following the rounded corner of the frame. What I get is a rectangular fill pattern with square corners that either goes outside the rounded corner or doesn't fill in at the ends of the cell.

On the table, put the top cell left, right and top to 0pt on the stroke

And the same on the bottom.

Put the table in a normal rectangle. With no stroke

Fit the rectangle to the table

Cut the box holding the table.

Draw a new box and with the type tool and paste it in there.

Set the new box to the width of the original table.

Put on the rounded corners.

Click on the box that you pasted into the other box.

Right Click on it, or CTRL Click on a Mac. Choose anchored objects.

On the top choose Custom.

Reference Point: Top Left

X Relative to : Text Frame

Don't have the check boxes checked.

You should be able to move the anchored object around freely enough. You may or may not have to line up the boxes by hand.

You may have to insert a small indent in the left cell to force it away from the corner.

The trick is to have the box that is the holder the colour of your table header. Then colour the table the colours you want.

Here are some images to look at. I think I've explained everything...

Oh you may need to baseline shift your heading cell up a bit, it's a bit roomy at the tops of tables done like this, don't worry though text can baseline shift outside of cells.

Granted this needs to be tidied up a bit and its a quarter to 1 in the morning and I've had a few drinks it's not so bad.
tablewithroundedcornersae3.jpg

Here's an idea of how it's made up, with the table not anchored in the other box sitting on a background just to show it.

tablewithroundedcornersgj6.jpg

Do the anchoring custom bit and then you have a few things you will have to customise yourself, like type and colour and spacing and et al.

When you're finished drag the whole rounded corner table onto your desktop to create a snippet (or any folder). You can then place this snippet in a Library to use with any indesign document, just so you don't have to go setting it all up again.

Enjoy.

Thanks, Eugene,

I was thinking of trying something like this but wasn't sure of the steps. I'll see if I can get this to work.

Of course you don't have to have to anchor them in. You could just overlay them and group them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back