Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fishing for Mitel 3000 info 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowtalks

Technical User
Mar 19, 2005
US
Our company has decided to migrate to Mitel as a small/medium platform to replace the, soon to be defunct, Norstar MICS/CICS which we have installed and maintained for 15 years.

I will be installing a 3000 next week and just completed the online basic course. What quirks should I look for in this little system, or what opinions do you have on the 3000?

NCSS NCTS NCTE

This system is pretty much PLUG and PLAY.

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

There will be a learning curve and lots of detailed "how do I do this" questions but the 3300 is an awesome system. Just remember that its not a Norstar.

Don't get me wrong...I love the little 3000. Be aware the 3000 phones are 4 wire phones....yes 4 wire...if you replace a CICS/MICS you will have to crack open every jack and rewire...redo all jumpers....change out every baseboard cord that isn't 4 wire. I have some customers that have cubicles that would take a week to dismantle to rewire jacks. It sux for us because we have several hundred CICS/MICS and we don't know what we will do. We definately don't want to go the Avaya route. We wanted to be a Mitel only dealer but that isn't going to work. We hoped that we could install 3000's but we got our demo and I found the issue. I mentioned it to our Mitel rep...but they don't care. They are really missing the boat on the Nortel/Avaya merger. The 5000 is too expensive unless you get into a large MICS range. I think Mitel should redo the 3000 to be a true 2 wire digital system that uses 5000 phones. They made it to handle 5330's why can't they fix this issue. plus it would cut back on phone inventory. Right now we are only installing 3000's on fresh istalls where the wiring isn't an issue. I'm sure other Norstar/Mitel installers have simular opinons. Just my 2 cents

Yes, the 3300 is an IP phone system using Cat 5 cabling. However, it does support TDM digital 4025 sets that are 1 pair (using SX200 peripheral bays). If the customer doesn't want/need IP then quote the system with 4025 sets.

SX Wizard....He is asking about the Mitel 3000 key system that was adopted from the Inter-tel line. Not the 3300

4 wire? you've got to be kidding. I didn't know they still manufactured 4 wire systems. You are correct about not using them to replace existing CICS/MICS...that could be a NIGHTMARE

SXWizard: We have a 3300 Demo I haven't had time to get into yet. A coworker in PA is in training right now and I guess I'll be next. I hear they support a gateway that can allow you to use Norstar phones...is that true?

NCSS NCTS NCTE

yes you may Norstar phones with the Citel/Mitel Gateway...only seen it once and that was at Atlanta's Mitel Lab. Only time I have even come close to quoting one was when a 2 private schools wanted to be tied together...one had a MICS with new 7316 phones...ended up buying the phones and sold them to another customer..put in 2-3300's tied together with a Metro-E. The 4 wire thing has really thrown a monkey wrench into our plans with Mitel products. We could buy Norstar MICS/CICS bundles for a fraction of a 5000 or even a 3000. Mitel has a big share of the small/medium market with the Inter-Tel products but it must be 5000 platform mostly. They need to wale up or Avaya will have it all.

Is the architecture of the 5000 also 4 wire?

NCSS NCTS NCTE

Don't believe the 5000 uses 4 wires. The 3000 is a completely different animal.

Yes you can program through a phone, but you need to have established a telephone id and password through elements manager first. If you already have access to elements manager, just set up your telephone user id. Then you access phone programming using F**CONFIG - User ID - Password. At that point you are in standard MICS style programming

NCSS NCTS NCTE

Sorry...I got my posts mixed up...embarrassing...

NCSS NCTS NCTE

system option superset message cancel blank this out default is 24

system options set all conf to 8

system options set registration code ***
system options set replacement code ###

all class of service used public access via dpnss = yes

all class of service used public to public = yes

OK, my 1st system came in Friday to be installed this week. I went through the Mitel online basic and IP I&M and was looking forward to start programming this little thing. All the training and other docs references programming through MPS.

I have certifications in Nortel BCM, IP and CS1000E PBX, so the GUI interface looked fun.

As I looked for the software for the MPS that was suppose to be included with the system, I came to realize the CD it was suppose to be on wasn't there...I had a CD for customer doc about the softphone and unified communications, but that was it. I was forced to stumble through the basic programming with a few pages of docs about programming through the phone, which ofrces me to have to guess how to assign lines to the phones and assign the line to a pool so the user can grab a line directly, or grab intercom DT, press 9, and get the last available line.

I wasn't impressed with the system architecture, especially for what the system costs, compared to other comparable sized systems, and now I find that a critical component in programming isn't available to me (MPS), because it wasn't sent, even though all the docs I read says it is sent with the systems. For a first impression, Mitel isn't doing very well.

NCSS NCTS NCTE

The Mitel 3000 was brought over from Inter-Tel world and personally I don't see why they didn't revamp the whole system. I can't see changing out any perfectly good 2 wire system to go back 30 years to a 4 wire analog. We are in limbo here where I work trying to find a CICS/MICS replacement. We have looked at ESI, but it is a firmware driven system and I wasn't too inpressed.

I downloaded the MPS and I have access to the system through the PC programming so it's coming together...

NCSS NCTS NCTE

Just a bit of history... Intertel bought another company about a month before Mitel bought Intertel.
The 3000 came from that company... it is a very basic telephone system, and as the product is developed from Mitel, I would imagine they will be getting away from the 4 wire telephones.
The 3000 does support a handful of IP telephones, has built-in Teleworker function as well as modules for Wi-Fi and can be your corporate router/firewall. Sort of an "office in a box".

Don't give up on the system just yet... there seems to be more to come as I've heard that they are developing it to support even more functions in the box.

- Mark

We just finished installing the first one of these little systems and I have to say it's OK. I do like the basic plug-n-play aspect of it and the ease of figuring out the little CCR tree routing that is built into it.

I was, and still am, put off with the four wire station wiring...that potentially could cause headaches and does increase the labor calculations somewhat, because the location where we installed this first system required all jacks and 66B station blocks to be rewired.

NCSS NCTS NCTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back