Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Finding 2nd value with Vlookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsfmike

Programmer
Oct 20, 2000
US
Scenario of data:

12345 6/01/04 ... ...
12345 7/02/04 ... ...
23456 7/15/04 ... ...
32345 6/01/04 ... ...
32345 7/02/04 ... ...
66456 5/12/04 ... ...

Is it possible to have vlookup get a 'HIT' and then use a second value to return the correct entry? 12345 is the first value, however I want to return data with the 7/02/04 date witch is the second value.

I am struggling with any way to accomplish this in Excel. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

what type of data are you looking up?

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

If it is a number or date, you can use:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000=12345)*(B1:B1000=DATEVALUE("7/2/04"))*(C1:C1000))

Bluedragon, Thanks for such a quick response.

The lookup colum is a series of product numbers and the second colum holds an effective date colum 3 is a price for the date

I tried to do a second lookup, however I did not have a clue how to structure an 'if' statement.

try the above formula and adjust the columns for your case.

Bluedragon, I am using vlookup(x,range,x,x) to return the price that I wanted. I will play around with the SUMPRODUCT - which I'm not at all familiar with and get back to you.

Thanks again

If you don't mind using VBA, take a look at my VLOOKUPNEXT
function in thread68-693835.

I just tried it again, and it seems to work for your situation just the way you want it to.

Hi Zathras,

Just wanted to say how useful I have found your VLOOKUPNEXT - it is quite a while since I initially saw it - many thanks!

I also found that by modifying it slightly I could locate any value - I called this VLOOKUPNTH as below:

Function VLOOKUPNTH(lookup_value, table_array As Range, _
col_index_num As Integer, nth_value)
' Extension to VLOOKUP function. Allows for finding
' the "nth" item that matches the lookup value.
Dim nRow As Long
Dim nVal As Integer
Dim bFound As Boolean
VLOOKUPNTH = "Not Found"
With table_array
For nRow = 1 To .Rows.Count
If .Cells(nRow, 1).Value = lookup_value Then
nVal = nVal + 1
End If
If nVal = nth_value Then
VLOOKUPNTH = .Cells(nRow, col_index_num).Text
Exit Function
End If
Next nRow
End With
End Function

Peter Moran

Thanks to all. I have started the exercise with VBA. It seems that I have quite a bit to learn. Looking past the 'columns and rows' is quite interesting and powerful. Your assistance has helped me solve my initial issue. Again many thanks.

I may be misunderstanding your question but:

=INDEX(A1:B6,MATCH(12345,A1:A6,0)+COUNTIF(A1:A6,12345)-1,2)
Result '7/02/04'

Replace the value 12345 in the [match] and [countif] formulae with your desired value or cell reference.

The above assumes you want the value from column 2 pertaining to the most recent entry in column 1. It also assumes that there may be occasions where there can be more than 2 entries.

If you only want the second entry every time then this will need to be amended.

Cheers

Matthew

Who remembers the Natwest Piggies?

Peter, I actually like your version better. It solves the nagging problem that exists with mine (that I was simply ignoring) where the retrieved values are not unique, and so the search never gets past the duplicate entry.

Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back