Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filter using a input box 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko999

Technical User
Apr 30, 2007
GB
I've looked all over for this but heres my problem:
I have a form called frmLearner and At the moment i have a Feild names surname. Rather than when opened on edit mode having to scroll through all fields i want to add a extra input box which when a surname is entered it pulls out the specified surnames so you can just scroll through the people with those surnames

Chris :D

How are ya jacko999 . . .

Setup a [blue]combobox with your surname[/blue] field and in the [blue]AfterUpdate[/blue] event of the combo set the forms [blue]Filter[/blue] property . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see FAQ219-2884:

You can filter your form in the After Update event of the combobox. You will need a means to show 'All', so set the RowSource to include 'All', for example:

[tt]SELECT "All" From Table1 UNION SELECT Surname FROM Table1[/tt]

Some sample code:

Code:
Private Sub cboSurname_AfterUpdate()

If Me.cboSurname <> "All" Then
    Me.Filter = "Surname='" & Me.cboSurname & "'"
    Me.FilterOn = True
'Set default value to show filter:
    Me.cboSurname.DefaultValue = "=" & Chr(34) & Me.cboSurname & Chr(34)
Else
    Me.Filter = ""
    Me.FilterOn = False
    Me.cboSurname.DefaultValue = Chr(34) & Me.cboSurname & Chr(34)
End If
End Sub

is there any way i could create a button to click which will allow me to re search the form rather than having to exit the form to search again?

You should not have to exit to search again. What code are you using and what is the rowsource of your combo?

well i changed my Surname actual field to the combo box so when i search it the second time i input it changes. I need this to happen but i wish to be able to search again

Do you mean that when you add names, you cannot find them? Also, you seem to have missed my questions; what code are you using and what is the rowsource of your combo?

no once ive searched once if i try to search again it saves the new surname as if the surname has changed which i do need to do my code i used is that above and row source is blank

You need to set the row source to something and you need to remove the control source. This is a combobox (isn't it) for searching, not a control for updating.

I gave you an example of a rowsource:

ok so now my control source is empty and my rowsource is SELECT [tblLearner].[Surname] FROM tblLearner; according to the properties is this correct?

It should be. If you re-read my posts, you will notice that I recommend using 'All', but it is not essential.

SELECT "All" From [tblLearner].[Surname] FROM tblLearner; is what u reccommend to use then

I think you have misread my posts, what I recommended, twice, was:

It should be easy enough to edit this to suit your application.

Ok i get you thanks for all your help and quick responce much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back