Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Sharing Problem across Wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasETL

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
I am trying to allow File and Printer sharing over my Wireless Network.

The Main Computer which has a hard-wried connection to the Router can access files and printers through my daughters Toshiba Laptop. However, she cannot access anything on the main computer.

Went through the Network Connection Wizard and all looks OK. She can use the Wireless Network to access the Internet. When she tries to access the Main Computer she gets a Window that tells her she does not have permission to access the computer: \\ComputerName.

What am I missing?

Is there any firewall blocking access? Some Antivirus software and Security Suites may have firewalling too?

Is access available via "Safe Mode With Networking"?

Are blank passwords involved? It helps if the Usernames are matched on both computers.

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

after you did the wizard, did you copy the network files to a flash drive/floppy and copy it to her machine?

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I do have the firewall active, but thought the firewall was strictly for outside the network. Since the Laptop is inside, isn't inside a Firewall and therefore not an issue?

And, I did not copy the connection settings and apply them to her laptop - we did go through the Netwtwork Connection Wizard on her Laptop and copied them exactly.

the machine that you initially set up with the modem/router should be the one you copy the network settings from.

if you are using ZoneAlarm, you need to check your alerts and add her laptop to the trusted zone.

I tried using a Network Setup Disk on the Laptop, but that did not resolve the issue.

And, we do not have Zone Alarm on either machine. We use Pop-up stopper.

The window states the Network resource is not accessible and that you do not have access -talk to your administrator.

What happens when you use the Ping command between machines?

This forum is full of similar threads where firewalling (incorrect settings) have been the cause of failed connections.

Try the Winsock Fix.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

the firewall was strictly for outside the network."
it doesnt block outbound connections but inbound, and if you want to talk 2 another pc u need a exeption rule for that inbound traffic, so enable file and print sharing rule on both pc´s.
also create the accounts for her on both pc´s, same username/pw, and make sure the propper permissions are set on the share.

Lemon said:
also create the accounts for her on both pc´s, same username/pw

Just wanted to point out that creating identical accounts on both PC's is not required. It is helpful though in the sense that you can assign her username to the share for permissions and she'll know the password, but you can always just give "everyone" access to the share as an alternative, especially if these are the only two computers on the network anyway.

rasanders said:
The window states the Network resource is not accessible and that you do not have access

If you are seeing this window immediately when trying to access the share (you don't see a username/password prompt first), then file sharing is blocked. On the main computer, go to Windows Explorer, "Tools->Folder Options" and make sure "use simple file sharing" is not checked. You will not see this setting in Windows XP Home. Turning it off gives you more control over the type of permissions you can set on the share. Go back to the share's properties and check the permissions again under both the sharing and security tabs. Make sure "everyone" shows up in both places (or her username if you decided to duplicate the account on the main computer).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Are these 2 machines both running XP - and if so, both the same version (Home or Pro)?

Most posts I see with this problem have involved use of the network wizard! (if you ignore the wizard, just enable sharing and share what you want, it just works - or it always has for me).

btw - you have shared at least one thing (drive, folder, printer) on the main PC? You need to do this. Worth checking the exception in the windows firewall too - enabling sharing should put a file & printer sharing exception, ticked in the exceptions list. If its not in the list you may have to add it manually or if its unticked, tick it.

Okay

I can successfully ping both the Network and the Main Computer from the Laptop,

Both Machines have file and printer sharing ON.

I re-checked the network setup via the Wizard - file and printer sharing is ON

I set up a User Account with her Username (blank password on both machines).

XP Home doesn't show Group Security that I can see so not sure how to add "everyone".

So far, nothing corrects the problem.

Also note, I did not have to do anything but turn on File and Printer sharing on the Laptop in order to access files and printers through the Laptop - which also has the Firewall turned ON.

Also, again, both machines have no prblems accessing the Internet through the Network, so there does not seem to be a Connectivity issue.

Please tell us what OS each computer is running (i.e. XP home, XP Pro, XP Media Center ed., etc).

XP Home is tied to "Simple File Sharing" only as an option. That is why you are not seeing all the extra security options. It only uses Guest authentication which is explained in more detail here:

Remember that the various folders in "C:\Documents and Settings" ("C:\Users" in Windows Vista) contain the personal data for each user of that computer. Those folders, by design, can only be accessed by the owner of the data, or by an adminstrator. Guest is neither of those, and shouldn't be expected to have access. The public portions of "C:\Documents and Settings" ("C:\Users"), if at all accessible to Guest, may be read only.

From that quote above, you should beware of the folder location that you are sharing. Try sharing a folder directly under C:\.

Now you also mention that the laptop didn't give you any problems. Is it also running Windows XP Home? This is important, because the firewall restrictions behave differently under Home vs. Pro. For the heck of it, try temporarily disabling the ICF (firewall) on the XP Home computer if it is the one having trouble sharing files.

When you use the "network wizard" to setup the share in XP Home, it will make an adjustment for you to the firewall to allow Guest authentication through. The network wizard is explained step-by-step in the link Linney provided earlier:
Simple File Sharing- enabled

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein

In XP HOME if you want the Security Tab look for it in Safe Mode.

It might help and make life easier if you have identical usernamess on both machines and use passwords?

Also for XP HOME these are handy to know about for later on in the piece.

If you have a NTFS partition try these links to beef up Home to something more configurable that you may be able to use to give it more power and security.

307881 - HOW TO: Convert a FAT16 or FAT32 Volume to NTFS in Windows XP

Having the same workgroup name is not required. The advantage of doing it is to see the other computers when double-clicking "My Network Places". However, you can still share files/printers with computers that are in different workgroups. You just might not see them appear automatically. Instead, you would have to go to Start->Run and type \\Computername or \\IPAddress.

~cdogg

I did not know that and I thank you. I had my laptop join my workgroup, on an unencripted wireless network, access to shared folders was there. I wonder how his daughter tries to access the printer if the workgroup is not the same.

All

Thanks for the replies...

The problem seems to be the Main Computer, which was running Windows XP Home. I also had a problem installing an HP 4100 Series printer.

So, I replaced the Computer with one that had Windows XP Pro, and I am going to pursue this change.

Thanks to all again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back