Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Sharing Problem across Wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasETL

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
I am trying to allow File and Printer sharing over my Wireless Network.

The Main Computer which has a hard-wried connection to the Router can access files and printers through my daughters Toshiba Laptop. However, she cannot access anything on the main computer.

Went through the Network Connection Wizard and all looks OK. She can use the Wireless Network to access the Internet. When she tries to access the Main Computer she gets a Window that tells her she does not have permission to access the computer: \\ComputerName.

What am I missing?

In a basic network scheme (especially for a home network), there's nothing wrong with using XP Home. It just works a little different from XP Pro.

If you would have made sure you were sharing a folder NOT located under Documents and Settings, you should have been able to get it to work.

Good luck with the new configuration though!

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back