Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fields disappear????

Status
Not open for further replies.

maca9

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
NZ
Hi

I have a database with a table that has loses fields.

For example the rep comment field was in the table, it still works in the form and retains the info but there is no mention of it in design view of the table or the field list of the table when in query design.

Have you seen this?

Obviously I have some form of problem but am interested in an explanation.

There are a large number of fields in the table, is this a factor?

Thanks

Hi

If it is appearing on the form, and it is a text box control bound to a column in the underlying recordset of the form, then it IS in ONE of the tables in that recordset, could it be that the recordset is a query, and that the column in questions is one of the other table(s) in that query

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Another possibility, though far less likely than what Ken mentions, is that the row for this field was reduced in height to zero, and that the column for this field was reduced in width to zero.

Like I said, it's not too likely. But if Ken's bet isn't right (though I'm sure it is), try just grabbing all of the column heads in datasheet view and dragging to make them all a reasonable width.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Thanks for your replys. Both however are not what is happening to me.

The is a control linked to a field in a table.

However now the field doesn't show up in design mode for the table, or form view for the table....BUT the field still holds the data entered into the form.

So it works perfectly except it isn't showing up anywhere.

I know this seems strange but is the case.

Hi

What do you mean by "form view for the table"

If you cannot see teh field (column) in the table hor do you know "BUT the field still holds the data entered into the form." is true ?

Regards

Ken Reay

I mean that when viewing the design view of the table the field is not there.

When viewing the table normally (not design view) the field is not there.

BUT....if you enter data in the control linked to that fiald on the form it works fine. By that i mean ccepts the data and retains it whenever you go back inot that record. Also shows up on any reports.

I know this is very STRANGE. I'm thinking its just some corruption due to replication or something.

I guess there is no solution to this but I just wanted people to be aware this can happen in access.

what is the record source for the form?

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

Hi

I have same question as JeremyNYC, it MUST be a query, or there is code in the form to retrive from and update another table

Regards

Ken Reay

maca9

Some weird things lately -- must be the solar flares...

Have you compacted and repaired your database?

Also, you state you have a lot of fields in the table - how many?

Has anyone changed the name of field? (I have seen this one before)

Going back to Ken's comment -- if you see the data on the form, it has to be coming from somewhere.

When you say...
The is a control linked to a field in a table.
Can you be more specific?

Per your comment...
I mean that when viewing the design view of the table the field is not there.
Have you placed any text boxes or images on the form? I have seen one field or object cover a field? You can send one object to the bacground to make the underlaying object visible.

Lastly, to start at the beginning, and in conjunction with Jermey's comment, the data has to come from somewhere. This happens two ways - from a control source with a bound field. Or a triggered event populates an unbound field.

So look at the control source for the form. This will either be a query or a table. If the field is not their, and you are certain that no one has changed a name, then the next possibility is for a field or subform using an indirect way to link to the control source. Combo boxes are pretty good at this type of thing.

If you are still hunting, then more info would be helpful. Missing field is... Control source table is ...

Richard

I am having the same problem here. Fields are no longer present after synchronizaion, but they still retain info and seem to be "visible" to the forms that use them.

Two new fields are created after synchronization, both are prefixed with "Gen_".

I have been having an increasing number of problems with this particular database, the only one I've worked on that was replicated.

Do you guys have anything new to report on this issue?

The link I posted above did the trick for me. Sorry for the multiple posts and hope this helps for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back